Where to get tank lids?

Sunbird73

I have a 60 / 30/ 30 tank with no lids... just rang a glazier to get some glass cut for it, but the quote was only $8 less than a brand new tank that would come with lids :facepalm:

So.... where can I just get glass lids from at a reasonable price, anyone know?

I have a 60 / 30/ 30 tank with no lids... just rang a glazier to get some glass cut for it, but the quote was only $8 less than a brand new tank that would come with lids :facepalm:

So.... where can I just get glass lids from at a reasonable price, anyone know?

Find some scrap glass, maybe the same place will sell you some offcuts then cut them yourself. You can get a glass cutter for somewhere around $10.

Try Greg the tank builder, he's listed in the Commercial Trade & Exchange sticky thread. He replaced one of my tank lids recently for $5. Alternatively, I think Hollywood Fish Farm also replaces tank lids, but they have a longer waiting time.

HTH.

You can use clear acrylic (perspex) instead of glass.. I have a piece of 4.5mm thick acrylic i could cut and send to you for cheap. pm if interested :)

I second perspex, it's better than glass imo, as it is a lot lighter and I have had trouble with dropping glass lids before. The only thing is that I've noticed my perspex flexing after awhile, so I often turn it upside down to get it to flex back the other way. So I wouldn't sit any lights directly on it, I think the heat from my light a few cm above is not helping with the bend.

Pity, but I have LOTS of lids...gathering dust...as I often get a turtle or 2 that comes in a tank...with lids, and I dont use lids for the turtles. They cause condensation which leads to breathing and shell rot issues for them. So I have a nice selection of unwanted lids of all shapes and sizes. Maybe find a local rescue turtle rescue with lots of unwanted lids! :wink:

Perspex is ok but does tend to get scratched and discoloured quicker than glass it can also be alot more expensive if you cannot source and offcut or other random bit.. I would stick with glass and just have a hunt around see what you can find cheap, maybe contact the place that is selling the entire tank for $8 more than the lid and see how much they will sell you a lid for?

With glaziers the price can vary a lot depending on whether they have an offcut they can use or if they have to cut it off a full sheet. Ask around.

Hmmm, perhaps I should collect some lids from Donna and bring them to conference?!

Anyone else needing them? I have family, and a neighbour, travelling to and from ChCh regularly and will be driving to the Tauranga conference in an Odyssey so plenty of room for a few lids.

With glaziers the price can vary a lot depending on whether they have an offcut they can use or if they have to cut it off a full sheet. Ask around.

Hmmm, perhaps I should collect some lids from Donna and bring them to conference?!

Anyone else needing them? I have family, and a neighbour, travelling to and from ChCh regularly and will be driving to the Tauranga conference in an Odyssey so plenty of room for a few lids.

Does anyone want a selection of lids? I've started throwing the odd one away, so will stop that and save them in case anyone wants some :)