Greenpeace and sea shepherd

the new guy

So i just wanted to know what you guys thought about these organisations. the most recent issue is the deep sea oil and natural gas drilling incident. here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... -Petrobras

In my own personal opinion i think these are they only active non-govt, non-profit organisations in New Zealand(besides the rspca) that are out there protecting our natural heritage, and show concern for our our environment. although a few of their actions are questionable but in saying that this year sea Shepperd saved hundreds of whales in the southern ocean, and a while back green peace saved our natural environment from mining. but 1 season ago the sea shepherds new boat got run over by the Japanese whaling ships.

i know that a lot of the stuff they actively protest about is legal, but also questionable.

your thoughts?

The need to protect the environment needs to be balanced with the need for the country to prosper. If NZ can once again become one of the wealthiest nations because of a huge deposit of oil off the coast then its certainly worth looking into IMO, but it also needs to be taken in a way that minimises the risk and impact on the environment.

Unfortunately very few people seem to think there can be a balance between the two and usually only care about one or the other... :roll:

I think sea shepherd is good.

Greenpeace are mostly just money-wasting hippies and don't actually have any qualified scientists to back up their ideals. Occasionally they get things right, but then go about it the wrong way.

Unfortunately very few people seem to think there can be a balance between the two and usually only care about one or the other... :roll:

Is this balance just possible or a gentle utopia when we consider reality here and now ?

I think to achieve this, we have to change our mind about the way we produce and the way we use energy and raw material. Imo, we are still in the 19th century, as if our world was infinite.

I would support them but their actions are regularly illegal so I do not. As far as I am consigned they should both be prosecuted as organised crime groups.

Whales hunters are illegal when they hunt in protected areas / protected species. They call it "research" but it is not. They can study whales without killing them. Everyone knows it.

Shark hunters are decimating about 100 millions sharks each year; species are seriously endangered by this. Seals hunters are particularly barbarics, especially in South Africa. So what ? This is legal. But is this bearable ?

I admire Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherd's team to give a voice to the legally silent ones.

Is this balance just possible or a gentle utopia when we consider reality here and now ?

I think to achieve this, we have to change our mind about the way we produce and the way we use energy and raw material. Imo, we are still in the 19th century, as if our world was infinite.

I completely agree with this. We are already capable in doing many things in a much more sustainable way, but don't because it's less convenient and not immediately profitable. A lot of things actually work together really well, like fishkeeping and growing plants, fish waste fertillizes plants, plant waste goes to the compost, worms grow in the compost which can go back to feeding the fish, and the compost is used to fertilize the plants.

There's a good TED talk about this topic on youtube, and we see that cycle isn't something that's just restricted to natural processes, but also finding new uses for by-products of manufacturing processes so that the 'waste' also becomes something useful in the process.

Anyway, back on the topic of green peace, they remind me a bit of PETA. They tend to be at one extreme with their ideas, they may have some good intentions, but do things in such a way that I cannot agree with them.

It definately will happen---when we have ecracted and wasted all the coal, oil and gas. There will be no choice.

So how close are we to extracting all the coal and oil and gas from the earth? Nowhere near it. Will we rape and pillage the planet until every last drop is squeezed out, or will we have the common sense to draw the line somewhere and focus on renewable technologies? The almighty dollar will always wins, and as easily accessible supplies dwindle prices will rise and it will become more economically viable and appealing to go after the stuff that was previously considered too hard to get.

I really doubt there will be a smooth and peaceful transition to other energy sources as coal and oil run low, not with the power, money and political leverage held by big oil companies.....

Never going to happen, ever. Its not human nature...

Perhaps we won't see it in our lifetime, but I wouldn't say never. We've gone through some radical shifts in power in the history of man-kind: Monarchs, to religion, to science, and now to corporations. Not a perfect example, but I think you see what I mean. Besides, it's not like we have to completely stop being 'greedy' to be more sustainable, just need to have the foresight and planning to make the most out of what we do take, and creating more value in the way we use our resources. Perhaps not immediately as profitable as the way we do things now, but being able to do more with what we take would end up more profitable in the long run.