L46 Zebra Pleco Prices

jc254

what do you think is going to happen with this price trend? is it like the Leopard Geckos where they where $1500, now crashed down to $400? what was the going price of a L46??? $700/800 but now we are seeing them for $490? obviously prices will go down when people start breeding on a more regular bases but interesting to see them cropping back up.

Its the standard supply and demand curve. More supply less demand and the prices drop.

Remember though that these guys have to have the time to mature before they breed, if they breed.

I just think its fantastic that they are in the country - thanks again HFF - and that they have been bred here once again. Congratulations to the party who was successful.

yes well they take a good two years to mature and females always appear to be rare. If you look at overseas prices you will pay up to $300USD or $300Pounds for mature females which will most defiantly happen here. My guess you will pay between $1500-2000 for a mature adult and those prices will stay that high.

Prices will come down, there will only be so many people that can afford the higher prices and people will have to lower price to sell them, plus with more coming onto the market. I am glad to hear they are being bred locally too but I suspect it was stock that was already in the country before the importers imported them recently, who knows though :) Well someone does.

Just for comparison Frontosa started out at $200 a fish at 2-3cm and now they are $10-15.

there are many factors that determine the price of a rare fish. as rare as these are, half of it is determined by the attitude of the person that breeds them. if they are keen to get them out there & make them accessible to everyone then they will sell them at a cheaper rate, if they want to make $ then they will be offered at a higher rate. If more than one person breeds them then there is competition on price providing they don't price fix, then it comes down to how many people are prepared to set up to keep the zebras.

If there were 100 available at $500 each i suspect that they would sell quite slowly as they may not be suitable for some tank setups or current inhabitants, if they were $100 each people would be more likely to set up a tank specifically for them. I would be very interested to see how many people would actually get them if they were $100 or less as from what i understand of their behavior they aren't seen much so the idea of having a tank to enjoy their brilliant colouring may not be what it seems to someone that has not kept them before.

I would be very interested to see how many people would actually get them if they were $100 or less as from what i understand of their behavior they aren't seen much so the idea of having a tank to enjoy their brilliant colouring may not be what it seems to someone that has not kept them before.

i for one would set up a tank for them, i wouldnt mind if they were around the 200 dollar mark because thats about the price the fancy plecos sell for

I'd buy them for under $100 but I'm a bit of a cheapie when it comes to fish. I haven't paid more than $45 for a fish.

I'm just not that a good fishkeeper to invest in expensive fish - too scared I'll do something wrong and kill them!

wow my most expensive fish was more than 10 times that :oops: and im only 16 :facepalm:

I think the issue with the L46 is when someone breeds them and looks to sell direct rather than through a wholesaler or retailer, and in reality it would only be retailers or wholesalers that would ever make money out of a NZ Bred L46, but I wonder if money-try reward is the heart of any of the breeding attempts.

They may not get to the $40-$60 mark like L270, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got to the $150 mark in a generation or two if breeding colonies are well managed.

There are obviously a number of people with breeding colonies of L46 out there of varying ages, so supply could easily outstrip demand should all or some of these people succeed in breeding.

The market here for 'top shelf' fish ihas proofed itself limited.

I guess the only unknown influencing factor is the potential to export

I think the comparison to Fronts is valid and has merit. The $ amounts may be different but I think the % drop over time could well have similarities. I would agree that numbers and difficulty in breeding would alter the curve if the dollar value were the same.

With the chance of at least another breeding setup succeeding the numbers of fish will increase incrementally over time and the current price (1/2 that of a yr ago) will no doubt lead to more breeding colonies set up, and hopefully the knowledge of successful breeding being shared, so creating a cycle.

The Person who forked out the $200 per Front and sold fry for $100 is ultimately the key to them being $10-15

Lets hope that is the case with L46.

The difficulty of breeding will come down to individual breeders for sure, and the ones that aren't successful will not be part of the program -Obviously. But I for one hope there are enough L46 in the country now to establish them for good in NZ this time around and move the cost well below its current mark.