Lumpy wants a family! (deformed discus paired)

Nymox

A while ago I got 3 discus to look after, one of them is very deformed, named lumpy. Well, out of all the discus Lumpy managed to get paired up and spawn and is doing an excellent job in defending them. I don't think they will have a chance of raising any in that tank but I will set something up for them down the line and see where it leads. I would think that it is still capable of producing normal healthy young.

Sorry for the crap photo.

DSCF2962.jpg

Had to share it, first time I've had fertilised discus eggs (I'm aware some are not)

This tank sits at 24'c 7.0 pH low temps for discus but they are very healthy and happy.

:happy2: Best of luck with the spawn

If its just the body shape thats a little off you should be all good

Generally this is just caused through environmental conditions

If its fin deformities/gill deformities or bent spines/caudals probably genetic

although some fin/gill deformities can be environmental

Very low chance of any surviving in a gravel bottom tank :(

Looks like a blue snakeskin and a turq

Interesting to see what the fry might look like,the combination should be pretty good :)

Thanks, if you were to look at his profile it would be like a backwards 's' shape, other names on the table included munter and twisted. Not sure what may have caused the deformities as i got them as adult fish. I might set something up to house them separately so they can have a chance at raising some. A night of google for me I think :)

i have a deformed angel, she looks like those balloon platys and mollys, shes reaaaal short in the body and she bred 3 times already, i havent raised any fry till now so will be interesting to see what they turn out like. :dunno: could start my own balloon angel collection lol :lol:

Eggs didn't make it, sucked up by a syno i presume. I will set something up for them on Monday/Tuesday. I was thinking a 3 foot tank divided in half, 1 pair and a sponge filter in each section. Would this be enough room for each pair?

Otherwise, what are some recommended tank sizes, to save on heating I would prefer to have something that can be dived or stuck close together. I will add overflows and an auto w/c drip system or something similar to cut down on the work load.

(work computer no spell checker sorry about any mistakes)