Ooohh... Earthquake

Zev

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alan, (and everyone else)

We are not closing up at this point, please don't make assumptions on our behalf. This us a very difficult time for everyone in ChCh and we are busy regrouping, trying to rehome kittens and rabbits etc and move all the surviving fish to holding tanks at home. I have been committed to this industry for 20 years and am shocked by the loss of the store that we have spent the last 6 months buidling after the last quake. It takes time on forums like this to try and set people right when comments are made flippantly without speaking to the owner. We have hopes to rebuild again and we are working towards that.

Those that I have not spoken to or seen for months but think they know how my store is running, please, feel free to ring me first and find out. I may be able to help you out if you need space for your fish or reptiles.

The shop is a wreck, however we still have our tank repair and building business running from home. We have a lot of broken glass at home but fared ok apart from that.

We still have all our stock at home and can help if anyone in ChCh is in need of supplies, just get in touch 027 272 3195 or 027 655 2217. You can also ring the shop number and it is being diverted to my mobile 389-2460.

I understand that Bubble and Sqeek are closing up.

Ismart is in Shirley and has no power yet. Can anyone take his fish temporarily? He has no transport atm so if someone can go and pick them up, awesome, otherwise I can help with that. It's a 4-ft community worth of fish.

Ohh and Trilobite is in the same situation, not sure how many fish/fighters at this stage. If the same person could take them, would be one trip cos she's in Burwood.

I'd take them all, but I'm already staying at Antwans with all my evacuees too :( No more tanks. If needed I will be able to go pick up them all up since my abandoned house is in the same area.

Thanks John. I missed that one - the last one of course.

Dad's okay, very very nervous but at this stage does not appear interested in coming up here for a few weeks for a break. I am flying down on Friday so hopefully he will return on Sunday with me but doesn't want to leave his horses, house etc.

Nothing has been heard of from our friend and it appears that the body may not be able to be identified when or if they do find him :cry: One of many.

Haven't heard from her directly but another of our uni friends has & has evacuated some of her fish. She won't have power/water yet I'd imagine. It was her birthday on Thurs too :(

Ismart has a generator which is helping heat his tank but no filter. Would his fish be better staying put or going to a new uncycled tank? I'm worried about sending fish to uncycled tanks, especially if they are gonna be well stocked. What do people think about this? I think all our houses are in the area that is having new overland power poles installed so we're gonna be about a week without power, then will have cycling issues once its back on???

Advice please!!!

Wow, what more can be said. What fantastic help for a great cause. :happy1:

Some positive things happening :happy1:

Thursday night I contacted Chris in the North Island asking if he could house 3 particular turtles if I could get them to him. I was very concerned that the lack of water may see these particular ones die. He phoned back saying he'd been talking to the national aquarium up there about my plight and they could take ALL the turtles until things got back to some sense of normality. I was shocked! Still am.... So next was how to get them from here to Napier? Friday Chris rang back..he'd talked to Air NZ but it was going to be very expensive. Next call was to say it may happen and to get ready. Cherie and husband were here delivering 1,000 litres of clean water into tanks on the garage floor and help me move some fish tanks back into place that had 'slid' off their bases! I hadnt even eaten today and it was all full on. Counting turtles to check they all out of ponds and putting in boxes. Trying to put felt pen marks on shell of ones who are unwell. Fielding yet more ditressed calls from people with broken tanks... another turtle delivered and the people that bought her asked to go to a house and collect yet another turtle....A couple arrrived from Waimate to collect the turtle that came from the public hosp last night....and off load many bottles full of clean water....then another call to say Chris had been in contact with the CEO of "Mainfreight" and they were in discussion about how to transport. The most horrible thing is that all livestock transport has been stopped due to movement of bodies :tears: They were possibly going to truck turtles to another city down south and then on a flight North. Another call and Dave bringing the 4 turtles from the Southern Encounter Aquarium in town...then more turtle distress calls.... then at 12.15 I was told to get turtles to the airport by 1pm, repack them at the airport into poly boxes and they would be transported...FREE...to Auckland and then transferred to Napier and arrive at 8.30pm. I barely had time to think! THEN... a call from a TV crew who are doing a documentary for TV to be shown later in the year about the plight of the animals (Associated with the SPCA)... so they arrived at same time as 4 turts from Aquarium...trying to finish rearanging, counting etc and loading all the boxes into my car...and the car of people from Waimate ...then guy with TV camera jammed in my car too and off we go to airport! THEN... I had to transfer turtles into poly box, trying to sort a box of 'small' , "sick", "special"etc etc ...including my beloved Mnnie and then lids on and having to say good bye....Feeling numb and exhausted....say bye to everyone and drive home alone... a 20 min journey took over an hour due to earthquake damage and traffic....used 2 bottles of the cold water from Waimate to wash my hair etc. brrrrrrrr and go to work! Already have one turtle deliverd while I was at work and 3 tomorrow... but suddenly I have sooooo much space. Its so quiet here now. I feel such a sense of relief but also miss my babies terribly! They will be back, but who knows when :dunno: Cant believe it happened and if I get too many more then we may do it all again!!! I cant thank Chris enough for taking the reins and helping out in such a practical way :hail::hail::):hail::hail: Now I can start to look at my house and begin to put things in place ready to take on the new turtle victims of this quake.

Thanks to Livingart, Zev, Lambo, Donna, Ras and bdspider for the help tonight and tomorrow. You guys are awesome. :hail:

I hope these surviving fish will help keepers to rise up and have another go when they are ready.

Also thanks to the numerous people who have contacted me with offers of support. It is so good knowing there is support and help ready at a moment's notice. There are a few big jobs coming up and I am hoping we can continue to rally help for various people and businesses in our fishkeeping community in the weeks to come.

I'm worried about sending fish to uncycled tanks, especially if they are gonna be well stocked. What do people think about this? I think all our houses are in the area that is having new overland power poles installed so we're gonna be about a week without power, then will have cycling issues once its back on???

Advice please!!!

I read you're finally ok about this but here are some advices I can give.

About cycling, you can put fish in an uncycled tank for 7 or 10 days.

It depends on how many they are and their size (small, middle, big).

If you have water but no power

No pb. Just do some water change every week.

Feeding

As low as possible. Two or three time per week.

Filter

If you have no filter, the most important is to keep water movement.

So a mere water pump will be usefull.

Temperature

Temperature is presently 14 to 23°C in Chch ? A lot of tropical fish could survive in. As it is written in NZ aquarium world of this month, cooler water slows down a fish's metabolism. 20-23° is not a pb for most of the fish.

Water

Weather report forecast it might be rainy on wednesday (Chch). For those who can, try to gather rain water from gutters for instance.

Tank

No more tank ? You can use garbage cans too as I do for my fish summer camp. It works well, without any filter for fews days (about 1 week) in case of uncycled garbage can lol or for several months if you have some fast growing plants in it and/or about 8 cm of soil. You can use sand from your garden or potting soil because it contains bacteria. Just check Ph and if it's not polluted by chemicals, pesticides or something.

More info about NPT (Natural planted tank) here, step by step :

- http://thegab.org/Plants/step-by-step-setting-up-a-walstad-type-natural-planted-tank.html

NPT method works very well. I checked it last year. Water changes are rarely needed with. Diana Walstad is microbiologist and study, among other things, the amount of plant filtering action.

- (Interview)http://www.aquariss.net/intervjui/en-diana-walstad-natural-planted-tanks.html

Hope it could help some of you.

I am in need of the following for some fishy quake refugees. If anyone has some of this stuff to loan and are remotely near Halswell, let me know:

spare power packs

100watt heaters

60L or larger plastic bins

logs or hidey holes for various sized bottom dwellers

Many thanks

I am in need of the following for some fishy quake refugees. If anyone has some of this stuff to loan and are remotely near Halswell, let me know:

spare power packs

100watt heaters

60L or larger plastic bins

logs or hidey holes for various sized bottom dwellers

Many thanks

will bring heaters around when I can, or if you want you could meet me halfway

if anyone else can help Jen out plz do, she has ALOT of fish in her garage lol

also unrelated but I have a 3ftx1ftx1ft tank with a very minor crack in a corner, could be converted to a reptile/frog tank or anything without water in it, FREE TO GOOD HOME...

Note to self: check for catfish before drinking hot beverages at Jens...

:lol:

Great idea Wok, the only problem is glass clashing around with each aftershock... :o

Thanks to bdspider and Antwan today for the help picking up all those fish. That was a serious mission! All are safe and sound and looking pretty happy considering their cramped quarters.

Thanks to MarkLB for the filters. A total lifesaver.

Thanks also to burrowssj for the multi packs and mature filter media. Very helpful!