Ooohh... Earthquake

Zev

There are other ways to help too. http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 4230956243

A bunch of my school mates made that event, saying they'd donate $50 if they got 50 people to change their display picture. Its well over 200 now and they'll have donated $200 and are looking for more people to start donating for the group. Helpless are becoming helpful :nilly:

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get hold of Dave from aquarium...cant find his numbers in the mess. I need to get the turtles from aquarium here asap.... hopefully having mainfreight get ALL turtles to Napier to Hot House and Aquarium but need to be at airport by 1pm and get turts packaged etc. Help please :D

Hey all

this forum is mainly for those in that live here in Canterbury and Christchurch.

I dearly hope everyone is ok, im sure that some of your houses and or business's have been damaged but if anyone needs any help with anything just pm me. i have 2 rooms available for anyone who would like to get out of the city. i live in Amberley with my partner and 8 week old son and we cant feel many of the aftershocks(only the really big ones). we dont have any damage out here, power, water, phone, and internet is all working fine.

also if anyone needs a temp home for their fish we have 3 spare tanks, unbroken ready for any fish. one of them is brand new and is suited for marine fish, its 60L. the others are another 60L basic glass one, and a 25L glass one. we can foster fish if needed. any questions just ask. im sure there are others out there waiting to help out aswell.

cheers all

Craig, Jess and Bentley

Hey all

this forum is mainly for those in that live here in Canterbury and Christchurch.

I dearly hope everyone is ok, im sure that some of your houses and or business's have been damaged but if anyone needs any help with anything just pm me. i have 2 rooms available for anyone who would like to get out of the city. i live in Amberley with my partner and 8 week old son and we cant feel many of the aftershocks(only the really big ones). we dont have any damage out here, power, water, phone, and internet is all working fine.

also if anyone needs a temp home for their fish we have 3 spare tanks, unbroken ready for any fish. one of them is brand new and is suited for marine fish, its 60L. the others are another 60L basic glass one, and a 25L glass one. we can foster fish if needed. any questions just ask. im sure there are others out there waiting to help out aswell.

cheers all

Craig, Jess and Bentley

Great offer Craig, I am sure there are a few frazzled nerves down there who would appreciate your help.

I have merged this post with the current earthquake thread.

It's a minor piece of happiness to know someone remembered me!

My immediate family are OK, but my parents house is gone for sure this time. Our house now has a hill in the hallway you need to climb to get to the bathroom. The place was absolutely ransacked, with the entire contents of our kitchen on the ground. Somehow my fish tank survived the shake, despite all my coral rock arrangement collapsing. I must have had 50L of water on the floor. All fish are/were alive, but we've since left Christchurch as apparently it will be days to weeks before we get power back. Drinkable water might be longer. I tried to call pet places to take my 6 marine fish, but i couldnt get hold of anyone and they probably have problems of their own. They will be no doubt deceased by the time I get back. I think this will be the end of fish keeping for me.

My business is damaged to an undetermined level at the moment. I barely avoided being hit by our commercial oven and an avalance of crockery. I gave away hundreds of dollars of milk and food today, as it will spoil in the next few days if I didnt find homes for it. I made sure the local firefighters were getting very well fed, as well as a backpackers hostel around the corner from my cafe.

If we can't open our business for a few weeks this could mean absolute financial ruin for me and the family. I may just have a possible out by taking a job for someone else... depending on whether their business is operable or not. But my family are safe, and that is the only thing that truely matters.

I hope all in Christchurch are well and that loved ones are all accounted for. I really don't know how the city is going to bounce back from this... broken houses, people and roads are going to be a ubiqitous sight for the next couple of years.

Did you find a home for your fish? i have a brand new marine tank that is still in a box waiting to be set up if you would like me to foster them???

Agreed. I'm sitting here doing nothing at work. It's really quiet because we deal mainly with the Christchurch branches of the insurance companies. So obviously none of them will be emailing us, calling us or sending us new jobs.

I went to Christchurch to help our office up there for a week after the 7.1 eq, so its possible I'll be sent up again at some stage. I don't know what state the office building is in but I know all our the Chch office employees are all fine. Does anyone know if the Rydges is ok?

All I can offer is an airbed on the floor of the spare room at my house in Western Southland... well away from the shaking..

I Live in amberley just north of chch no damage here. but i was watching tv and just wished i could help, being a volunteer for St John i made enquires and went to volunteer at one of the shelters. but i know its abit hard when you dont belong to an organisation helping out. i have seen lots of people helping out others removing all the sand from their yards and there is alot of it, i know from helping for 2 weeks after the sep quake that many many people are lost for words when you have done, and most burst into tears.

Look guys, his (dennis's) tank is completely broken - Need temp accomodation for L191 pleco and some acaras / firemouths and BGK.

House is likely uninhabitable.

Can any one down there help? txt me on 0272493674 and ill put you in touch with him.

hope everyone else out there is ok.

have you found a home for the fish yet? i have some tanks can set them up in no time at all...

Hi all and thanks for the kind words, we Cantabs need as many as we can get and appreciate them all :) This shake was truly hellish but I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I was at work in Sockburn so a wee bit away from the epicentre and the building held up O.K. After we all sorted who was where and that we were all safe everyone shot home. A journey that takes 15 minutes took me an hour, and a horribly anxious hour too. The street that I live in is a mess, up and down with piles of sand and sink holes. I walked in to find water dripping out the front door and when I got to the lounge I saw that 5 of the 6 tanks had lost 25% of their water and my 160 litre planted community tank had rocked off it's stand and smashed, glass, gravel and mud all over the place. I frantically picked up fish and was happy to find some survivors, a few Corydora, most of the BNs, a Wild Krib and a couple of Chain Loaches. I lost a school of Cardinals, two large SAEs, some BNs, Corys, Chain Loaches and Guppies. I estimate a total amount of water on the floor to be 300+ litres.

I had no power so I ran around and grabbed all the blankets and thick towels and some bits and pieces of poly and covered the tanks as best I could. The water came back on yesterday so I could do some water changes on the smaller tanks and the power came on at 4pm today, hallelujah, I love that stuff, the filters and heaters are back on at last :D

I'm not sure how the house has faired yet. I have liquefaction front and rear of the property and likely under the house too. There's cracks in the cladding and of course the carpet has to come up.

Like I said, I feel lucky. I feel terrible for all the people who lost lives and for those that have lost loved ones. I have friends who had some lucky escapes and I'm dreading the day I find out someone I know has lost their life. I hope that day never arrives.

I want to say a huge thank you to the people who got in touch with offers of homes for my fish and plants. In the end I got by but knowing that help was just a couple of text messages away was a massive relief. Thank you so much, you know who you are :hail::hail:

Some positive things happening :happy1:

Thursday night I contacted Chris in the North Island asking if he could house 3 particular turtles if I could get them to him. I was very concerned that the lack of water may see these particular ones die. He phoned back saying he'd been talking to the national aquarium up there about my plight and they could take ALL the turtles until things got back to some sense of normality. I was shocked! Still am.... So next was how to get them from here to Napier? Friday Chris rang back..he'd talked to Air NZ but it was going to be very expensive. Next call was to say it may happen and to get ready. Cherie and husband were here delivering 1,000 litres of clean water into tanks on the garage floor and help me move some fish tanks back into place that had 'slid' off their bases! I hadnt even eaten today and it was all full on. Counting turtles to check they all out of ponds and putting in boxes. Trying to put felt pen marks on shell of ones who are unwell. Fielding yet more ditressed calls from people with broken tanks... another turtle delivered and the people that bought her asked to go to a house and collect yet another turtle....A couple arrrived from Waimate to collect the turtle that came from the public hosp last night....and off load many bottles full of clean water....then another call to say Chris had been in contact with the CEO of "Mainfreight" and they were in discussion about how to transport. The most horrible thing is that all livestock transport has been stopped due to movement of bodies :tears: They were possibly going to truck turtles to another city down south and then on a flight North. Another call and Dave bringing the 4 turtles from the Southern Encounter Aquarium in town...then more turtle distress calls.... then at 12.15 I was told to get turtles to the airport by 1pm, repack them at the airport into poly boxes and they would be transported...FREE...to Auckland and then transferred to Napier and arrive at 8.30pm. I barely had time to think! THEN... a call from a TV crew who are doing a documentary for TV to be shown later in the year about the plight of the animals (Associated with the SPCA)... so they arrived at same time as 4 turts from Aquarium...trying to finish rearanging, counting etc and loading all the boxes into my car...and the car of people from Waimate ...then guy with TV camera jammed in my car too and off we go to airport! THEN... I had to transfer turtles into poly box, trying to sort a box of 'small' , "sick", "special"etc etc ...including my beloved Mnnie and then lids on and having to say good bye....Feeling numb and exhausted....say bye to everyone and drive home alone... a 20 min journey took over an hour due to earthquake damage and traffic....used 2 bottles of the cold water from Waimate to wash my hair etc. brrrrrrrr and go to work! Already have one turtle deliverd while I was at work and 3 tomorrow... but suddenly I have sooooo much space. Its so quiet here now. I feel such a sense of relief but also miss my babies terribly! They will be back, but who knows when :dunno: Cant believe it happened and if I get too many more then we may do it all again!!! I cant thank Chris enough for taking the reins and helping out in such a practical way :hail::hail::):hail::hail: Now I can start to look at my house and begin to put things in place ready to take on the new turtle victims of this quake.

Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone knows how Bubble & Squeak Pet Shop fared

I drove past there today and water was running from under the front door. It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

I shifted all the tanks and lifted the carpet today. In the process I discovered my house has dropped in the corners, the floors are warped and I have some cracked roof timbers and concrete footing :(