Axolotl help

shelties

Hi there,

Just a few questions regarding axolotls. Can you keep two adults in a two foot tank or do you need a three foot tank? Also do Axolotls need company or is one fine by itself. There is conflicting information on the internet sites I have been to on axolotls. At present I am looking at either getting one in a two foot tank, or two in a two foot tank, which are for sale at present. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

One in a two foot or 2 in a three foot. 2 can be kept in a 2 foot while small but they will need more room as they grow.

I dont think they require company but they do interact with each other and its more interesting IMO.

If you keep more than one then they all need to be a similar size to avoid predation

Some of the most reputable axolotl and aquarium websites such as http://www.axolotl.org state that a tank of your size (2 foot/54 litre/15 gallons) is fine for one axolotl but I would only keep one in that size. 2 would probably be alright in a 3 foot but a 4 foot tank would be better. Remember to have good filtration but not too much current. An internal filter with a spray bar or small canister filter is ideal. Another good idea when keeping axolotls is to use sand as a substrate. Gravel can become stuck inside an axolotl is accidentally ingested whilst eating and large stones can become clogged and dirty easily. Hope that helps.

I have bred axolotls since I was 5 and from my experience as long as water changes and good filtration are adhered to then you will have no trouble at all with 2 axolotls in that size, They stay relatively stationary so don't need room to swim but are dirty creatures so water quality would be the main issue with this size tank, Make sure they are not near direct light as they don't like it and preferably in a room without curtains so they go through the natural light cycle rather than being ambushed with light when the curtains are pulled, If in a room with curtains open gradually. as far as needing a friend they are solitary creatures and don't need a tankmate but will do just aswell with one, With all said above I would personally have one axolotl in the two foot tank as this would ensure water quality, make your job easier and will also ensure the one axolotl in there is at peak health rather than having two that are doing ok.

Some of the most reputable axolotl and aquarium websites such as http://www.axolotl.org state that a tank of your size (2 foot/54 litre/15 gallons) is fine for one axolotl but I would only keep one in that size. 2 would probably be alright in a 3 foot but a 4 foot tank would be better. Remember to have good filtration but not too much current. An internal filter with a spray bar or small canister filter is ideal. Another good idea when keeping axolotls is to use sand as a substrate. Gravel can become stuck inside an axolotl is accidentally ingested whilst eating and large stones can become clogged and dirty easily. Hope that helps.

Sand is great, you can even keep part of the bottom of the tank glass and seperate the sand with rocks or a log, this way when they feed they are eating of glass and digesting less sand but you still get the benefits of having substrate in the tank.

The sand itself is ok if only a small amount is digested but too much can cause internal problems. also some sands can cut the little area in the axolotls throat that they use to break food down before swallowing if it is too sharp or the grains are to large.

A lot of people have no substrate but I like the look so have sand at the front and a glass feeding area down one of the back corners, They know when i put food in to go straight to that area.

my axies never needed to get a grip, i just let them be who they want to be lol

i always found them to live and breed happily in bare bottom tanks. some sands are ok, or you can use huge pebbles, but substrates are messy. only good for making the tank look natural and maybe causing impaction :D

if you do use a substrate, can just put food on a kebab squer and hold down infront of the axie, maybe touch its nose. that way its not eating off the substrate. only takes a second to do.

This makes it hard for axolotls to get a grip and can stress them out. You should have at least part substrate, as you recommended.

Yes and you can even put some larger pebbles as mentioned below on the glass to help axolotls grip in these areas, I have had bare bottom tanks in the past but have found problems with them gripping and there legs almost loose the ability to walk overtime as they become used to swimming around, I like the look of them walking up logs and over the substrate.

p.s. one of my females laid around 100 eggs in 10 minutes just before, I have never seen such a fast passing, shes still going but slowing down now. seem to all be correct and there are a lot of twins and even one triplet egg sack that I can see.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...