Insect identification anyone? / insect photos

Insect Direct

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love identifying insects when I don't know what they are.

I have seen blue ladybugs here at our place. Not very often but we do get them.

I have a swan plant... well actually I have 4 now LOL so whenever there are aphids on them the ladybugs are there.

I have had 7 Monarchs hatch so far this season and am impatiently waiting for my stinging nettles to get big enough to see the Red or Yellow Admirals. I have seen a couple so far... one early this year and one recently.

I love ladybugs, praying manti and butterflies and that's probably it for the insect department LOL I HATE spiders, wasps, bees, ants, flies, earwigs, longhorn beetles, ... the list goes on and on lol

Cave weta have MUCH longer legs :o

It looks like a ground weta, and it is far more likely to be one too. There are many species of weta, and more being discovered. Some species of ground weta look like mini tree weta, others look like the one you have pictured.

As the name implies, cave crickets are commonly found in caves. However, most species live in other cool, damp situations such as in wells, rotten logs, stumps and hollow trees, and under damp leaves, stones, boards, and logs. Occasionally, they prove to be a nuisance in the basements of homes in suburban areas

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphidophoridae

just went to put the container i was using to photograph this grasshopper in, back in the cupboard. and what do i find in there, another one.

I released the one above so thought it may of found its way back inside, but the new one seems slightly smaller and no yellow dots on top.

Unreal never seen one before, now two.

Must like my man cave :D