"Global Computer Maintenance Department"

Josh_S

Just wondering if anyone else has had a call from the "Global Computer Maintenance Department". Ive just got off the phone with a nice indian lady claiming that i had downloaded unwanted files that were damaging my computer, and she would help me remove them. I wonder what would have happened if i went along with the instructions she was giving me.

Luckily im used to scammers ringing up so i caught on straight away but i can imagine that alot of people less tech savvy would get suckered in. She ended up hanging up on me when she realised i was wasting her time. lol

Just wondering if anyone else has had a call from the "Global Computer Maintenance Department". Ive just got off the phone with a nice indian lady claiming that i had downloaded unwanted files that were damaging my computer, and she would help me remove them. I wonder what would have happened if i went along with the instructions she was giving me.

Luckily im used to scammers ringing up so i caught on straight away but i can imagine that alot of people less tech savvy would get suckered in. She ended up hanging up on me when she realised i was wasting her time. lol

Haha, Yeah, I think those might be the same people that called up my sister in law. She said they claimed to be from microsoft and that her computer had a virus. Says they had her "Enter some kind of code." But she couldn't say where they had her enter it or what it was.

*Facepalm*

They rang my dad but he has had a number of strokes and is hard of hearing so he told them he didn't understand what they were saying and hung up :lol:

I keep getting called by overly perky sounding computers claiming their name is "Mike" or something else and they are ringing from Las Vegas! I think one claimed I had won a holiday but I haven't listened long enough to the others to find out what they were selling. Being cold called by humans is bad enough but when computers do it... :evil:

I did get to have a bit of fun though, she asked me turn my computer on (which i was in front of at the time). i asked her to hold on and googled the scam. after a couple of minutes picked up the phone and she was still there. was quite a good laugh asking loads of technical questions and hearing her trying to make up answers on the spot.

I think its about time to get my number removed from the directory, i hope this stops it. Ive had about 4 scammers ring in the last month. its bad enough having my bank, insurance etc calling to sell me extra carp.

• 1 month later...

i get aussies ringing me telling me about a deal where i get cheap as flights and accommodation and all they need is my credit card !!

all they get is a stream of obscenities worse than you would wish on your worst enemies and worse than you have ever seen on an internet forum then using caller id i ring them collect and abuse them again( they typically always answer)

I get a number that comes up as 1800 something on the caller display and when I pick up it's just a beep but not like a fax. Can't be a 1800 number as they don't exist as phone numbers on the network as far as I know.

Thankfully don't get those other spammers mentioned above as our details are confidential. We tend to get the random market researchers who get all embarrassed and hang up quickly when I say they've rung a confidential number :lol:

Ahhh yes a few people I know got this call, so when I got mine, I played along with them for about 45mins

Possibly the most entertaining thing I've had this year!

I'm quite computer savvy, work in IT etc, so I knew how to act the fool

So fake!

Warn heaps about it though, it does catch the odd person out

Sounds like some Telnet command which can render your pc useless/break it ect (Or remote access).

Side note : you can watch Star Wars episode IV via command prompt. (completely ascii)

Just for general precaution, if it's involving dos/cmd, pop a goggle search and it should give you an idea of what it can/will do.