Visiting Chch end of Nov - places to stay, people to see?

Stella

I am going to the NZ Freshwater Sciences conference at the end of November in Christchurch. I have booked my flights to allow a bit of extra time for meeting people and seeing things.

I am coming down on the afternoon of Saturday 20th November, returning Wednesday 1st December.

Am thinking of doing aquarium-people stuff the first weekend, and science-people stuff the last weekend.

I want to go to Southern Encounters on the Sunday, and was thinking we could have a little meet-up there or nearby that day?

I would also love to be taken spotlighting or similar if weather permits :) (I really want to see southern upland bullies!!)

I am also looking for somewhere(s) to stay for the first few days. I am staying with my partner's aunt for the rest. I am quite happy with a couch or whatever, and will be gone most of the time (weekdays and most evenings) and mostly fed at the conference. Am house-trained. Not scared of earthquakes. ;)

Christchurch is a huge place and I will be on foot, so I do need to be slightly picky. The conference is at Chateau On The Park (west side of Hagley Park), and am quite happy to walk half an hour or use bus (with directions).

Looking forward to meeting some of you! :bounce:

My guest room is open whenever you like Stella. It comes complete with the 'miracle guest bed' and 'miracle guest shower.' :wink: I can also arrange a tour of local people's tanks if there are things that you are interested in seeing.

Our Totally Tanked club meeting is three days after you leave but it would be great if you might consider giving some of us (read: 'me') a stream tutorial of native things the weekend before - if you are available. :wink:

Thank you, Jennifer :)

Donna has pm'ed me with a couch offer, and claims to be the closest to Hagley Park, which is fairly critical for me. I can deal with couches ;)

A tour of local tanks could be fun! I really don't know much about tropical fish, but it is always great getting to put faces to names, and getting to see what people are doing :)

Doing a spotlighting trip in the evening of Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st could work. I want to keep the following weekend for pestering science-y contacts after the conference. It may be possible to do something that weekend, but it would need to be bit of a spontaneous thing planned towards the end of that week.

Presumably someone knows some good spots.... :bounce:

• 3 years later...

I've been in and out a couple of times since then, was searching something for a friend and found it :P

I'm now looking at my dirty and failing planted tropical tank sitting on my desk and thinking about the natives route again :) So much cooler, and less work.