Why did I have to forget the camera again...

preacher

Went out looking in the Hutt river tonight, bit silly really because its very full and very fast. But hey, who cares.

I am SERIOUSLY glad I did, though I could kick myself for forgetting the camera again.... Why is it when you DON'T take the camera you can almost garuantee seeing something cool?

I know what I saw so I don't need it identified. But can you guys work it out...

Clue 1. Its an Eel.

Clue 2. Long, silver blue.

Clue 3. No Front fins.

Clue 4. 7 holes behind its head, no gills.

Clue 5. Circular, sucker mouth.

I thought it was a stick, except it was clamped to the ramp of the weir at Silverstream being pummelled by the fast flowing river and I wondered why it wasn't being washed away. I tried moving it and it wriggled. I tried scooping it into my net but the darn thing kept sucking onto the rocks. Eventually I got it to let go long enough to lift it out and was very surprised, it certainly looked like no eel I had ever seen before. After a close (and wriggly) exam I let it go at the top of the weir and it sedately swam away upstream.

I can't wait for Xmas when the river will be low and slow again.

Peter

Lol Stella, I see one Lamprey and you envy me? I envy you... you've seen far more things than I have. I just happened to be in the right spot, at the right time, normally I wouldn't go out with the river so high cos' you don't see anything. Bear in mind that estimate is a GUESS given it was wriggling and curling up so much, but it was certainly 50cm+.

Thank you friends, it certainly was a beautiful creature :)

P.