Query about an oddball fish

FishBen

I haven't seen these here yet but used to see them in Canada all the time. Since I know Nandus nandus made it here, i thought maybe other species of leaffish may also have.

Lucky, my love of all things south american extends to them too, would seriously consider doing a blackwater biotope with a few of them if they were available here.

As P44 said, a fish called "Mono poly" was available when the first lot of Nandus came in, how ever the ones I saw at HFF weren't the real deal.

I dont know why everyone is soo worried about the red eye puffers i have 7 males in my AR620 with plenty of hiding spots and they arnt agressive at all not like they chase each other around nipping at fins the just stick to their own spots and feed as a group at feeding time. So I think the agression part comes in with addition of females, as with any fish

They are aggressive. You have seen what only males can do in a tank first hand. The addition of females was not the problem.

If you intend on keeping multiple males in a tank that is under 100L, it has to be a totally sealed tank, because there will be only 1 male left by the end of it.

Maybe a collection of cool catfish, lots of variety, kinda oddball. Especially if you get the less common varieties such as bumblebee catfish.

Just worried about prices, uncommon cats usually aren't cheap :oops:

how about a Leporinus? there are a couple of species but this is the most common: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile1.html

might get a bit big for your tank eventually however.

You're right, quite a bit too big xD

Apprantly it's a fast grower and vicious fin nipper as well :o

Not sure you can really do 'oddball' without the bucks, nothing tends to be 'cheap'.

This is true :-?

or a Anostomus anostomus? similar to a Leporinus but a bit easier going and smaller too. used to have one in a community tank with all sorts and no problems. not that oddball I guess though?

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Red parrot cichlid? Engineered mutant with a smiley face?

"Adult fish can grow to a length of 8–10 inches" :cry::cry:

I highly recommend brackish follow link to see what you can put into your tank http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Thanks for the recommendation, will defiantly consider it! Really awesome site, bookmarked it :lol:

They don't grow lightning fast. I would think it would take a number of years to get to be 8-10inches, my mother had one that took about 2yrs to get to 15 or so cm. So if you loved him you would have time to upgrade?

I don't want to buy a fish that I'll need to re-home to a different tank or sell because it gets too big.