ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

They are right under the central city today, I read in the paper that they think there could be another fault that is getting active. The council is issuing a temp state of emergency. The malls were evacuated as was the Southern Encounter aquarium. Power outages too.

I've had things thrown out of cupboards today...havent had that before...even in the 7.1. So much depends on where you are located in relation to the quake...and today they're just down the road from me :tears: Lots of water sloshing about and onto carpets, but nothing too un-manageable....just un-nerving.... :(

We were in Ballantyne's at 10:30 when it struck ... it was terrifying, walls & pillars moved, things strewn everywhere over floors, no lights, we were glad to get out of there. Now see the Guthrie Cente (next door) is structurally damaged and Ballantynes is going to need Engineers to assess it's safety.

At Westfield Mall Riccarton, Farmers & DickSmith had roped off areas where part of the ceilings had fallen in.

Felt like way more than 4.9.

• 4 months later...