ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

I know you have no power but have any of you ChCh people got access to the Net via phones etc? How are you all?

Son said they lost a lot of water out of the tanks, TV and computer monitor smashed, a mess as everything came down off shelves etc but they are OK and nobody hurt.

A lot of building and road damages with some bridges collapsed too. I slept through it here but my daughter felt it. I gather it was felt in the North Is too.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm in the middle of Chch, water is out but we're lucky - unlike most of town we still have power. we have a 100yr old villa and will have to get out main outside wall looked at - lots of mortar fallen out from the bricks, a few good sized cracks. masses of stuff fallen off just about every surface in the house.

Felt it start - not too unusual to get a small one - then it grew so I nudged my fiancee who was already awake. then it got bigger, we both yelled "go" and dived for the doorway but kept being thrown back to the bed! eventually we made it and were both in the same doorframe, stark naked, before we remembered we had a friend in the guest room! :oops:

Aftershocks are still going, we had a break for a good hour or so but now they're every 5 mins or so again, many are up around 4, 4.5.

Tanks are ok - water has splashed around a lot but fishies are ok. Phew

Cat is just hungry :roll: as usual.

Now we're getting reports of looters in town :x assholes!

aftershocks still suck tho :(

this will show how nieve I am but looters and not kiwi... Chch has a mainly kiwi population so I shocked. This is not what kiwis do!

You can imajine it possibly happening here in Auck as we have a very larger overseas population but it would never happen in smaller centres.

It has really shocked me.

We are not a USA town or a third world country.

This is without a doupt when we should have the rite to take matters into our own hands a simply shoot these lower than low looters

Just got power back on, all fine here. No damage at our house, just got a lot of water sloshed out of fish tank!

Next time P44 tells someone off for having low levels, tell him it's to prevent earthquake spillages. Omg.

It was seriously the scariest earthquake I have ever felt, and it went on for ages and there's aftershocks ever half hour or so.

its pretty crazy aye. I saw pictures of buildings half fallen down, looks like a bomb hit! Last big eq we had in Otautau I actually held on to my tank lol.. probably wasn't the smartest thing but it was just an impulse. I really did think the tank was gonna fall over, water was certainly slopping out of it.

Just watching the coverage on TV, some girls microwave ended up in her fish tank. :(

Our chch office is gonna be screaming for help on Monday no doubt.

Gareth said it half emptied their goldfish pond outside.

Two of their cats have disappeared but he is sure they will be back. The other one, like Jenna's, just wanted his breakfast.

It was only a few looters Barrie and cops put a stop to it quickly. It happens everywhere unfortunately and yes, kiwis loot too! :cry:

I can't believe this watching the news. Didn't realise how bad it was, we are really lucky we have no damage here.

Like I said in the other thread... Take this as a proper warning, DO make a disaster survival kit. We didn't have proper torches or batteries or a radio. Get brackets on your heavy furniture and fish tank shelves! Especially multi-shelved ones! DO IT! My bookcase fell on my bed literally the moment I lept out of it (I wouldn't have been hurt, it caught on the bedhead, but the books were everywhere)

Donna is ok, just lots of water sloshed everywhere.

Looks like cellphones are gonna go down soon, and we're being told to not use phone too much... Dooo doo dooo...

I wanna help out people I know with broken tanks but we're not meant to drive unnecessarily? So I might stay home a few more hours then see.

Looks like cellphones are gonna go down soon, and we're being told to not use phone too much... Dooo doo dooo...

I wanna help out people I know with broken tanks but we're not meant to drive unnecessarily? So I might stay home a few more hours then see.

I best stop txting my workmate who's currently in Hanmer Springs... :oops:

They will be telling you to stay off the phones because service may have been compromised and they probably want to ensure that any emergency calls can get through.. Same with the roads probably want them free for emergency services..

I hope that everyone is ok too sounds like it was a biggie.. Not a good thing for fishkeepers!