Albino frogs - Pics Tadpole to Frog

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Hi, I know this is re-activating a rather old thread, but I was wondering if anyone in Christchurch / Canty knows where I can either buy or collect lutino frogs or tadpoles. I have a large terrarium (90cm long, 45 x 45cm) waiting for whatever I can get of these.

Also, interesting to read the discussion on the breeding of split to split for this gene. One aspect that I did not see mentioned is that in a lot of animals these genes which remove some or all melanin from the colouration are sex-linked. (There are other types of 'albinism' which are recessive, as well as one or two examples which are dominant with a suspected lethal factor for homozygous genotypes).

Most importantly the genes for determining sex do not work the same in all classes of vertebrates.

see this link - http://www.genetics.org/content/164/2/613.full

The most pertinent statement here is - THE most common mechanisms of genetic sex determination are male heterogamety as designated XX female/XY male and female heterogamety as designated ZZ male/ZW female (Bull 1983). In vertebrates, the heterogametic sex is male in mammals whereas in birds it is female. The other lower vertebrates such as reptiles, amphibians, and fishes have both types; the type may differ between species or any larger taxonomic groups. In Amphibia, female heterogamety is assumed to have evolved first, because the morphologically primitive species are most commonly heterogametic in females. Male heterogamety is thought to have appeared later at certain evolutionary branching points and quite rarely to have reversed back again to females.

Which if you think about it for a bit may explain the reasons some people here were finding that breeding 2 splits did not yield the expected results.

If lutino offspring from a pair of splits are always male, it argues very strongly that the gene involved is sex-linked and that it is acting in an organism with male heterogamety. IE the visual lutino males have inherited just one copy of the gene from their mother, who would be heterozygous for the gene, and thus 'split' for it.

Please, let me know if you can help with sources for these frogs, or any other colour morphs. Thanks

I would like to move on the remainder of my colony but they have cost me thousands in time, food, and power etc etc. And I don't like to give up but hmmm. Only ever got them for the sake of it 6 years ago. Really surprised no one has produced a decent number yet.

Keep an eye on trademe. Is a couple of people trying to breed them.

May still let mine spawn this season and give it another shot but not planning on it.

Yeah, like L A says!

I think you only get to have money if you don't have anything else you are passionate about.

I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for a bunch of Tads, knowing there was a risk involved. If it didn't work out, that's just life.

It seems there is a fine line always between the price people will pay for a live animal, knowing the risks involved; and the price they will decide against purchase. I've bred and sold fancy-coloured mice, pedigree kittens, ponies, coloured sheep, goldfish and guinea pigs over the years and the difference between no sales and a flood of buyers can be as little as 5% of the total price. Can't explain it, must be just a psychological thing, maybe why shops price everything at however many dollars & 95 cents. :dunno: I just know I never made any profit from the above, just covered food & vet costs in a good year. :facepalm:

Anyway please let us know if you do decide to breed or sell your frogs

found it depressing getting all those wonky tadpoles & frogs.

can produce plenty of normal green ones. just costs too much to justify it.

i like to compare these to beardies. imo the frogs have more potential by far. and given the rarity coupled with the challenge of producing them i think 500-1000 each, especially for adults, is still giving them away. don't really care about the money side of it. i like to breed everything (successfully) once. these still have me beat.

one of the worst things for any animal lover is to produce deformed animals.

others can do et, for now.

I understand the original breeder looked into exporting to the USA and they were happy to take them but wanted a 5000 shipment. Hope that wasn't just a sample.

if it is the guy i think it is yes he was interested.

already breeds the golden bells among others commercially so would presume it would only be a one off.

unless infertile.

but to find the reason for it would be nirvana

that is for real.

• 2 months later...