Gidday Fish people

DiverJohn

Hi everyone,

Spose i better come clean. Been lurking around here for a while reading up on fish and plants (lots on plants!) and decided i had better sign up and say gidday! :)

About 6 months ago I bought a second hand tank ( with fish) off trade me. Did lots of reading up on it before i purchased and it turns out I must have done something right. Using two stationwagons I transported 1x 1.1m tank, approx 250l water, Ehiem series1 Pro Filter, 2 "quite large" silver sharks, an angel fish, a (gold spot?)pleco, and some Harliquins and had no real problems. (touch driftwood!)

Currently I am trying to get plants to grow. I think I am doing OK, my Hygro has bubbles under the leaves, the sword like thing in the back is growing some nice new leaves, and the weeds- opps Cambomba (sp?) are growng steady too.

I think my gardener - the pleco - has got to go. We have a diference of opinion over the plants. I think they should be in the gravel, but he (she?) seems to think they look MUCH better floating.

Anyway, thats a bit about me and my tank, I guess you'll want pics next!! :roll:

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Plecos are always a problem in planted tanks. whenever ours get too big we take them to our LFS to swap for smaller.

it is a good deal for both parties, and it saves alot of mucking around. if we sold them on trademe we would probably make a $5 profit by the time we buy a new plec, but its probably not worth the effort......

Hi John and welcome, I have the same problem with my plecos, but I have 3 (yeah I know but I just love them). I have set up another tank just for big fish with no plants and the big big boy is moving there, while the 2 smaller ones will remain in the community tank until they get a bit bigger then move them too. Otherwise I will never get plants to grow.