Homalia sp?

A-town...

Mine is due to arrive this week so hopefully it will be the correct size or I'll be joining KP and complaining as well. If I keep some aside to grow in a pot is this just like growing a pot plant or do I need to do something else :roll:

I actually found heaps of submerged Homalia sp in a creek in Christchurch. Bundles and bundles of them looking like wiry java moss.

I took a little bit (less than a handfull) and chucked half of it in the tropical tank and half in the coldwater tank. They both grew so slow that I concluded that I'd rather have the java type mosses instead.

moss shouldn't be sold by the cm. there is a reason it is sold as a bunch.

im sure the plants are salvageable, but it wont be all that easy.

I doubt it - there are only 5 pieces big enough for me to pick up without a pair of tweezers. Any way I will give it a go.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not at all. They sent me some more but it was no better. Too small to attach - the only way to attach it would have been to superglue it on like you do corals. I tied it on with cotton but it didn't grow and finally just went mushy and dissolved.

I have seen, since then I think in the native section people with fissendens in their tanks. It might have been blueether.