Leopard fish

gagaforfish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol hit the nail on the head there Caryl, well done :D

Google search them sunrise, a lot of people often past them by as they are not colourful at all and are quite small. I happen to really like the dark patterns on them though and no two are the same. They are no where near as prolific as guppys though. When i first got them I had a couple new fry in the tank every week (28L), I now have atleast ten well sized females in a 300L along with guppys and i havn't seen a single leapord baby in almost 6 weeks now. Quite disappointing really! They are all very fat, and have growen alot quicker than originally thought in tropical conditions though. Fingers crossed

I've been trying to get photos of them the last half hour but my crappy camera wont focus properly or there isnt enough light in the tank. Will drop by my parents house and grab a small tank from the fishroom that i can hopfully use to get nice crisp clear photos.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get photos of them the last half hour but my crud camera wont focus properly or there isnt enough light in the tank. Will drop by my parents house and grab a small tank from the fishroom that i can hopfully use to get nice crisp clear photos.

Dont know how you are taking photos but I have best success focusing on fish if taken at night in dark room with just fish tank light on.

• 1 year later...

will notify after I get at least one good spawn out of them. have a tank sitting here waiting....

anyone got any good info on breeding them (temp, pH etc...) All I know is that they are really bad at eating their own young. Last time I bred them was chucking them in a plant pond and pulling out the babies :P

someone in TA has some, JaSa?

We got ours from jasa and got a few females, but they have all died out we think they may have got harrassed to much as there was only a couple of girls and about 20 boys. We picked them up on our way back from Auckland but are not heading back up that way for ages and jasa doesn't courier, pity or I would buy more as I was very happy with the trademe purchase, which was origanally for albino guppies but brought the leopards as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Once it is a bit warmer I will courier you a few females if you want. Not too keen atm because of the temperatures. Remind me in Oktober :)

Cheers,

JaSa

Thanks Jasa

That would be great, if we get a chance to head over your way before then I well flick you an email and see if you have any available at the time, we were wrapped with the fish we got last time.

Many thanks

Glenda

They are cold water fish, so it wouldn't bother them would it?

Depends what "cold water" is for you...

They can survive down to 8°C but do best between 15°C and 20°C. Just check out the average temperatures where they come from (Uruguay, Paraguay).

We had someone here who kept leopardfish outside in a pond, under the eaves of a garage and partially protected by a tree, through -4C winters. They are a very hardy fish and, in my experience, cope with cooler temperatures more than hotter summer ones. The only time I had troubles was when the tank temperatures rose over 25C.

I know what you mean by "cold water" though.

mine are happy in 8-10 degrees unheated, but they are a lot more active and fertile if kept a bit warmer, unfortunately I only have 1 power point atm and that is for the airpump

Update:-5 babies so far, 3 feeding on ground flake food, 2 only showed up this morn so watching closely. was not ready for them so have a bottle in the window trying my best to get some infusoria etc... as quick as possible. will go raid some plants later today, hopefully there will be some extra microfauna on them too. not bad, $5 for 4 fish, have 9 now 2 days later :happy1:

yeah I know, its a late 70's house, 2 in the lounge, 1 in each bedroom (2) 2 in the kitchen (3 if you count the stove) and 1 in the garage.

got 4 4ways running atm

need another couple, might stop in at bunnings, should ask the landlord if I can fix a couple to the walls permanently

• 1 month later...