brine shrimp hatchery - pics please

henward

hi all

i have gottenoffers from a few very generous people to sh ow me hot to set up the coke bottle hatchery.

unfortunately i dont hve the time to visit for now, wondering, if someone out there can just give me a couple of pics...

and instructions on what ot do, i know its relatively simple.

just to tell me what to do and how to set it up.

also in there, how often do i change the brine water? - i mean if i put say brine in the coke bottle thing, how many batches of shrimp can i hatch from that?

\does it go off quickly?

this just tells me how many bottle set ups i need to keep a sustained population of food going until the babies can eat pelleted food and beef heart mix.

when i used the upturned coke bottle it lasted about 3 days if i rember correctly, and lasted a day or two longer if i used natural sea water.

for making a hatchery you:

cut the bottom off a coke bottle

drill a hole in the lid small enough to be a very tight fit for the airhose to fit in.

poke the airhose in so it sticks in about 1-2cm into the coke bottle

turn coke bottle upsidedown and fill with salty water, BBS eggs and pump air into it.

but i rember a while ago amazonian made a brineshrimp hatchery but didnt give detailed enough instructions about how to make it, just a photo of it saying that he didnt use any glue. and i believe that he taught how to make it to the nelson/marlbrough fishclubs. anyone got anymore info about amazonians design?

I do as above but also drop a small heater/thermostat in there. If I remember correctly, NZ brine shrimp is 24 degrees at 24 grams to the litre salt and others a bit more (around 32 grams/litre). They need light to hatch as well. To collect nuplii--- turn off heater and air and let settle for 10-15 minutes then drain out through the air hose and seive through a fine seive or old handkerchief.

i have seen these set ups in other peoples fish rooms with no heater in them.

but the room is warm

can i rely on ambient temps?

does it have to be 24c? or else it wont hatch or will it hatch just slower?

how much light does it need?

ambient light?

or does it need a beam on it, like a fluro bulb beside it or something?

I use a 1kg Marmite or peanut butter jar then you just have to drill a small hole in the lid. A wrap of wire around the neck hooks it over the tank edge and so it sits within the main tank so doesn't need a heater.

brineshrimphatcher.jpg

Why, there's no water in that tank at all! Are you trying to finish off P44 for good?

why cnt i just get a coke bottle, dont cut anything and chuck an air stone in there, turn it on ....

why does everyone recommend upside down system?

makes it more simple.

reasons:

1.easy to sep shells and shimp]

2.get higher hatch rate. :bow:

ok, that sounds good.

just wanting an explanation why a higher hatch rate if its a upside down coke bottle than not?

water turbulence is key here. that seems to be achieved by both

also the hatched shells float so that makes no diffrence

just like to understand this

ok, that sounds good.

just wanting an explanation why a higher hatch rate if its a upside down coke bottle than not?

water turbulence is key here. that seems to be achieved by both

also the hatched shells float so that makes no diffrence

just like to understand this

the air flow way is different upset down seems have wider range involvement in the jar, and the amount of BBS egg you put into matters. hope this helps.

ok, the amount of bbs eggs matters.......

please clarify, thats somewhat vague.

how does it matter?

putting less or more is better?

the only thing i can think of is that upside down the eggs funnel down, meaning they have no choice but to be pushed up and moved, and leaving no chance for ANY eggs to settle to the bottom while the aerator is on........

any feedback on this comment?

ok, the amount of bbs eggs matters.......

please clarify, thats somewhat vague.

how does it matter?

putting less or more is better?

the only thing i can think of is that upside down the eggs funnel down, meaning they have no choice but to be pushed up and moved, and leaving no chance for ANY eggs to settle to the bottom while the aerator is on........

any feedback on this comment?

:D too much eggs + weak air flowing=taint dead BBS or failure

less eggs+strong air flowing= happy BBS haching, but not happy fish fries (not enough to eat)lol,plus wast of time and salt. lol.

i have 4 hatcheries carry on at the same time, and 5big spoons eggs in each bottle..... fini each bottole in half day.....

I mix 4 teaspoons iodised table salt in 3 lt of water

I then keep this in my room to come up to temp

In a 1.5 lt bottle with bottom cut of jamed into a 2.25 bottle with top cut off( base) i pour about 1-1.2 lt of salt water .

i then add 1 teaspoon of bbs and airate for 24-36 hours with an air line with no stone attached.

I have a bit of lead on end of line to help it stay on bottom.

Just syphon out what you want into a jug with an old stocking toe over it after letting it settle

use finger to smear bbs hatch into tanks

easy as

have 2 going like this and one is ready each day

I also use micro, grindal and white worms so I can "rest" fish

HTH