Solder?

Joshlikesfish

There is quite a lot of research about the detrimental effects of lead fishing weights on the health of aquatic species. Lead poisoning is cumulative (builds up over time) and some of the first effects are behavioural/mental/cognitive.

Would you be able to tell if your fish was starting to go a bit nutty?

I am sure the effects would be more likely to show up in long living species, especially those that are kept for a number of months/years in the same environment. Of course acidic water conditions would be much more likely to leach out the lead.

Would be very unfortunate to buy a seemingly healthy fish off someone who had been keeping lead in the tank...ticking time bomb.

• 2 weeks later...

Rust is a complicated electrochemical process. In that system, there would be phases of soluble iron (Fe2+) that would be usable to plants (albeit unstable, but that is true for our fertilisers too).

It is also a myth that plants cannot absolutely use oxidized iron (Fe3+). Here is a research article that I looked up last month that clarifies the issue: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

-your link is logged into wiley. what's the name and isbn for the article?

Try this. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 8/PDFSTART

I have no idea how much plants can use. I am sure there is more recent evidence that says as much, but if not, perhaps you can start a research study to find out? :D

• 12 years later...