New 60l

knightmarc

have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44098

if you do go down the same path as i did i would suggest using bigger diameter pipe like 20mm or 25mm so then you can use a grunty return pump for more flow in your main tank. or even split the return into two pipes so that the flow is coming from two different areas which may eliminate the use of a wavemaker type pump

+++++++++++++++++Update+++++++++++++++

I ended up doing a AquaClear Fuge with a modified AquaClear 110 and adding a Tunze Nanostream 6025

photo0045sk.jpg

photo0048wc.jpg

photo0051f.jpg

it will hold the heater in the small chamber once I find a shorter one that fits with the lid on and some macro-alge plant in the larger, would like to find some chaeto which people overseas recommend and is found on our coast in summer or do people have other suggestions?

Although I will add some corals I am not expecting this to be the ultimate reef tank, I would be happy even with just fish and live rock but think the weipro leds will allow me to have some low light corals. from what I understand one of the main problems with led lights is with deep tanks and mine is only 300mm.

They seem to be doing alright here http://www.fish-street.com/product_deta ... ubscribe=1 and while granted MH lighting is better I can't justify getting them for a small office tank.

As for fish for the tank, these are the ones I am thinking of in order of preference

Yellow watchman Goby

Boxing Shrimp (can we get these here?)

Flame Hawk

Yellow tail Damsel

Fire Fish

Fire shrimp

Cleaner shrimp

I am thinking 3 fish and 1 shrimp so prob leave out the fire fish and choose one shrimp

so one of these would be better

T5-4ft.jpg

Built-In Electronic T5 Ballasts

3x Power Switch (1 - T5 + Cooling Fan, 1 - T5, 1 - Bluemoon LED)

Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing

Built-In Cooling Fan

Clear Acrylic Lens Cover

Highly Polished Reflector

Flipable Mounting Legs Included

2x Odyssea 24W T5 High Output Daylight 12000K

2x Odyssea 24W T5 High OutputActinic Blue

2x Dual bluemoon LED (60cm version)

livingart would you be willing to sell some of your cheto? Would I not add some til after the cycle has finished or can I add it straight away?

Ok so have ordered the T5 lighting above.

Is it ok to put the sand in tomorrow, I have 1mm argonite chip, was waiting for any dead material to come out of the rock on the glass bottom but have had very little.

Also I have just swapped out the heater for a 55w aqua-one heater that fits in the aquaclear in the space I setup but it is resting on the bottom of the aquaclear, is this ok? it's not going to melt it is it?

Also I have just swapped out the heater for a 55w aqua-one heater that fits in the aquaclear in the space I setup but it is resting on the bottom of the aquaclear, is this ok? it's not going to melt it is it?

It could possibly melt it. Id get a heater guard, it will add like 2mm to the lenght and thickness of the heater, so if it will fit, id spend the $10 or so for the piece of mind.

personally i would leave it without a perspex or glass lid think in summer it will help increase evaporation and cooling on those hot days (small tanks can have heat trouble in summer) also yes it will cut out some useful light and have to be clean reguarly to due to salt spray. if you end up getting any fish that are known to jump make a lid out of plastic mesh

photo0055d.jpg

UPDATE

Have added 1mm Argonite sand to tank last friday, have alot more evaporation now without a lid on the tank but got a auto top up system on trademe last night so will have to see how that goes. Currently using 10l Pure Dew bottles as water supply.

As for the cycle it seems like it's in the middle of the process, using API test bottles

---------22/6------30/6-------1/7

Amm-----0.5-------0.5------- 0.5

NI-------0.2-------1.0--------5.0

NA-------0---------10--------10

Temp is 25C and salt reading today is 1.023

Yes, you are mid cycle, you'll need to raise your salinity to 1.025/1.026, esp if you want to keep corals.

You should not have added sand so early in your cycle, it will be a mess after your algae cycles, and you need to keep it to 1-2cm, or 10-15cm, nothing in between.