New Juwel 180 Setup

bottlerocket

Hello everyone,

I am about to get a Juwel 180 and have a few questions before I put the order in.

I plan to plant it, and would like to attempt a carpet effect.

What do you suggest to use for the carpet?

Would it be advisable to get reflectors with the tank, are there any disadvantages to reflectors eg algea growth?

Do the Juwel filters do a good job or would it be better to get an external filter.

Thanks for any suggestions

I've been thinking of upgrading to a Juwel tank at some point, so had done a bit of searching on them. I can't answer about plants and reflectors but from what I know the in-kit Juwel filter isn't that great. From my googling results, most people suggested getting an external canister filter instead. I heard that it works fine with a planted tank that is well undestocked, but if you can afford the external instead why not :).

Also I read that gunk can get trapped behind the siliconed edges of the filter or something which is hard to clean, and that sometimes people opted to change most of the sponges to blue sponges instead of the standard filter media it comes with it. That's all I found on the Juwel filters.

Juwels are awesome tanks, so congrats for getting one.

The Internal filters are good, but dependent on your livestock stocking you may need / prefer a cannister filter (external).

If your tank is new and covered under warranty please don't remove the internal filter as that will void your warranty.

The lights on the tank are good, and it is possible to grow almost any plant in there, but if you want a tank with a carpeting plant like glosso it would pay to add more lighting. this can be done by getting a hagen T5 Ho hood and tubes to your liking. these hoods fit perfectly above the tanks and all you need to do is take off one of the black plastic lids.

As far as substrate goes - Daltons propagating sand is not only pretty, but very good for planted tanks and looks natural. it's also very very pocket friendly. :D

Carpeting plants that will be happy without a lighting upgrade -

e. tenellus tenellus

sag. microfolia

Lileopolis novoe zealandae / brazilensis - grassy

glosso - won't hurt to try - growth may be slow but it may get there eventually - definitely be better with the above mentioned lighting upgrade.

and a few others.

Add reflectors to your tubes if you have not already done so. That's almost 100% more light without too much expense.

Almost forgot - Run DIY CO2 in the tank too.

The Juwel filter worked well for me.

The tank also has holes in the back so you can have both the internal and a canister working together. At one stage I have an ehime 2213 on the tank as a back up. It sucked out from one end and the flow back in to the tank went in to the internal filter box.

The plants love the lights they have

Doesn't Juwel do T5HO setups in their hood? I don't think the 180 has it, but one model up might. The display tank at HFF has 4 x 54W T5HO, should be plenty to grow any plant you want.

I'd get one, if it weren't for the ridiculous price!

juwel tanks are great BUT do keep your receipt for warranty

the problems are always the powerhead that powers the filter craps out and the heaters are not very accurate or wont heat over 26deg

some of the newer models do have dual lighting which means 4xT5 instead of 2xT5 but you can always upgrade lighting very easily later

also......i think they could be some new juwel tanks coming out, i know they release info on their new nano tank called Vio 40 and they have a new skimmer which they says will fit the new tanks

Just put my order in. Rio 180 tank, stand and reflectors delivered to my door all for $712. Cant wait.

Any advice on gravel/sand would be great. pros and cons of both, Also ideas for the background, thinking of painting it black but if there is a better way without having to paint it, please do tell.

Really? For how much? By this you mean 4 t5s right? not replacing the old 2?

yes you can add another juwel T5 light bar to your tank, so you will have 4xT5 but its not cheap

i asked about it before and i think it was like $300 for a vision 450, plus you have to add the 3 piece lid set and juwel T5 tubes...i think it would be cheaper to ditch the juwel light completely and get a MH unit