Glass Cutting

Caryl

To cut curves dont drag the cutter, push it and keep your shoulder over the cutter. Dont use a straight edge of course

I would also not recommend it until you have successfully cut straight lines a few times.

paintedprawn.thumb.png.a86e71510c7d407fc

stenopus_hispidus_03.thumb.jpg.c3a6bd8cc

images.thumb.jpeg.126faf9071bf078141baa1

f039509t.thumb.jpg.a8878084a653e68122b7a

crab1-1.thumb.jpg.b95f94aac15cfe3272422d

images_(1).thumb.jpeg.04a9a9c9aaffbcf3b0

pregshrimp.thumb.jpg.5a15914311f9c0bbf95

images_(2).thumb.jpeg.c73a55d29314ac1bbe

images_(3).thumb.jpeg.9c8f2686ebfb28b178

P9201093.thumb.JPG.af8c3f8bb5ba0fe89ee92

• 6 months later...

i got the most biggest nutz!! last night i cut 4x 900mm panels for the lid of my tank and that was easy for first timmer, then going on to my disater 10mm laminate tank, i decided to cut down 100mm ott the overflow.. the dam thing was made of 12mm glass..

since my tank was 800 height and 1400 off the floor, bending over and reaching over 900 width was really challenging..

I have never cut glass before, I was alway scare of glass..

at the end i did manage cut off the overflow by double scribing it then banging behinde it many many.. time! :bounce: :bounce:

12mm was hard to cut, what the easiest way to cut 12mm glass?

• 2 months later...

If you are planning on buying a cutter then get the one exactly as shown at the top of this thread. The green handle is made of wood.

Don't even think about getting one of those awful metal handled ones with the round ball at the end of the handle. I learnt this lesson the hard way but an extra couple of dollars on the price of the cutter to get a good one will make a massive difference.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

if your gonna use that then definitely do a few practice holes first, and also work out some way of getting a slow but constant supply of water on the cut to keep it cool or else it overheats and cracks.

oh and if your using a combi drill, make sure you have the "hammer" function turned off :facepalm:

well hole drilled in glass and no broken glass, didn't bother doing a practice hole as I've seen it done a few times.

i took the tank out side, stood it on end so i was drilling onto a flat surface, got someone to hold the garden hose and made it a nice and cool, kept the hose going for the whole cut,started off on an angle then leveled the bit out, took it very slow only 10 secs at a time then flushed the grove out to get rid of all the glass files, got some tape onto the reverse of the glass to stop the drilled bit of glass from falling.

took about 20 min all up from prep of the glass to finished including a finishing Polish

tank is 10mm think to give you an idea of time frames.

oh and a really cool tip for someone that wants to have some fun, half way threw the drill stop and look threw the glass side on, the cut looks extremely Trippe

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

very old post I know but for anyone with a similar problem.

The thicker the glass, the heavier the cutter. That means that you should use an old cutter that is becoming blunt but still cuts with a continuous cut and use light machine oil like 3in1 or Inox.

Most smaller glass companies with cut your glass for you at normally about $5 a cut. Be aware that their COSTS per hour are likely to be around $45 per hour without making a profit so it may pay to offer to come back for it ?

remember that fish/aquariums are your hobby not theirs so dont take up too much of their time or they will simply say (as I do sometimes) no, I dont want to cut your glass.

Glass is breakable so it will be all care but no responsibility taken. Some say that you cant say that, my answer is great, take it somewhere else.

Remember as I said earlier, their costs will be about $45 per hour so if your there for 15 minutes they have already lost money in doing you a favor.