Turtle pond

snake kid

Hi I have built a turtle pond in my garden for my five year old red eared slider.

It also has a large soil area for it to dig and bask in the sunlight.

The water depth is about 45-50 cms and it has a space of about 2 square meters in total. it is fenced of with chicken mesh to stop cats/predators getting in.

I want to get another Snake neck turtle to go In the pond with it? will this be Ok?

also will it need any heating be cause they need temps of about 25 degrees upwards not sure how I would a power supply for the heater if I end up needing it.

any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks

PS: is there any snake necks for sale at the moment? I can't find any?

I want to get another Snake neck turtle to go In the pond with it? will this be Ok?

PS: is there any snake necks for sale at the moment? I can't find any?

talking to DonnaM - shes the turtle guru :) from what she told me you cant put snake necks and RES together. since you are in CHC you could probably rescue a turtle or 2 from donna as well

From my experience, the snakenecks are easily hurt by the RES especially when they are both going for the same bit of food.... so not good to mix them. Also the RES needs veggies and aquatic plants as well, and the snakenecks need far more fish and meat. So just like kids who are offered veggies or a sausage....the RES will happily ignore their veggies and head for the snakenecks meat instead. Also you need to acclimatise the turtle to being outside. If you've only just put yours outside....and given the dramatic temperature drops we are getting at night, its not great for the health of the turtle. Watch out for resp issues or 'shock' which can lead to drowning.... oh to have a Nth Is climate down here :roll:

When I first ventured into 'outdoor living' for the turtles I had both RES and Snakenecks go up and over a mtre high netting fence :roll: till I increased the overhang to prevent it. Or as suggested the smooth surface is good to.

Great to have you looking at pond living for the health of your turtle :) So much nicer for them.

Mesh is not good, causes damage to there snouts. Also the grass is always greener on the other side. Stop them been able to see out and they seem to settle to what confinement they have. Not try and escape all the time.

Saw a tank of snakenecks, red ears and reeves hatchlings in a pet shop recently. Utterly disapointed to see all the reeves tails gone and not just the tip :o Snakenecks apparently did it. I'd hazard a guess and say yes well shouldnt have all been together but lack of food is my guess.

Theres always exceptions. I use to have snakenecks and reds together without a prob. But they were very well fed and in a reasonable sized pond. Still wouldnt recommend it. Get one or the other and less can go wrong.