Rocket Pencil problems.

Mad Whip

Has anyone managed to hatch Rocket Pencil Fish. I have a pair that only hang out together that I have seen spawn a few times in the main tank. So I set up a smaller tank with Star Grass mops and sure enough they spawned and she looked thinner. I have peered into the tank for hours over the last week but seen nothing. Is there something I have done completely wrong. I did not expect hundreds of tiny fry but I did think I would see at least some fry/eggs. I'm expecting them to look like danio fry first day or so. Any help or ideas as always is appreciated.

I took this off the site http://www.Petfrd.com

http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~domestic/arkered.htm

wat the japanese hobbyist says:

1 ft tank..that's the same size as most of the other pencil breeding tank...lot's of moss..PH 5.8 and temp 26 c as you can see...has added in some blackwater.

in this case, 2 male and 1 female....

and following is wat most of hobby breeders do, that i know.

when saw the female carries the egg, then add in the male to the breeding tank for a couple day first, do not feed them (no poo, water remains more clean) and then add in the females, no lighting is required(read that those ppl breed neon tetras in total darkness..), and see whether any eggs are found, 1 or 2 days, if nothing happen, then just reset..try again...if find eggs, remove the parent fish..add anti fungus if think it's needed, and apply more aeration...in this case, he bring down the temp to 23, 24 c to reduce possibilities of getting fungus...

as you can see, only 30% of the egg hatch..and each time only lay 3 to 6 eggs...and repeat the process every 7 to 10 days...so it's kind of fish with low productivity, which means, in another words, farm will not be able to produce in large quantity, even worst, they may not even touch it...my Aqualife has a breeding report on this fish too..different hobbyist but almost saem result.

They get right into the plants upside down tight next to each other and jiggle. I have never been able to see the business end of things they are very watching private fish. It kinda makes me seem like a fish perv 8) I looked for eggs today but it has been 7 days since the jiggling was observed. I did not want to knock them from the spot that the parents had chosen so I left the mops intact till today. Do you think they are just firing blanks for the fun of the jiggle? :bounce:

also found this but the article was missing the last part

... Somewhat difficult to accomplish in home aquaria. These fish must be conditioned to induce spawning, and should be placed in a seperate tank for the purpose of breeding. The tank should have soft, acidic water, with a fairly warm temperature and densely-planted areas. The fish should spawn when ready, and will scatter their eggs amongst the plants. The parents should be removed from the tank as soon as the act is over or the eggs will be eaten. The eggs should hatch in one or two days, and the f

and this off the mongabay site

SEX: Males are slimmer with brighter red colors.

Breeding techniques: Use a small tank with a pH from 6.0 to 7.0, soft to medium water (1-6 dH), and a warm temperature of 82-86°F (28-30°C). Place as many fine-leafed plants as possible in the tank along with Java moss. The lighting should be dim. Spawning is initiated when the male pokes the female's abdomen. Pencilfish are notorious egg-eaters and often eat the eggs are they are dropped. Try using a pipette to suck up the eggs, before this occurs. Remove the pair or the eggs to a rearing tank. The transparent eggs hatch in 24-36 hours and the fry are free-swimming after 6 more days. At this time, the fry swim near the surface of the water and should be fed with roftiers, newly hatched Artemia, and powdered foods. When the young begin to swim at a lower water level, they can be fed larger foods. With frequent partial water changes, the young will grow quickly, even beginning to develop adult colors as soon as five weeks.

Breeding potential: 5. Breeding is fairly easy as long as the eggs are separated from the parents in time.

but it does sound like they are better kept in groups of 5 or more and seperated only for breeding.