What freshwater shrimp are available in NZ?

Floater

Found an amano shrimp at hollywoods once, but a staff member already bought him :roll:

:o Are you sure it wasn't a native?

Don't get SamH started at the Amano shrimp again ;)

Or do...either way, he was looking into importing them.

Too late! Nah, I gave up, not enough money and too complicated. Handed it off to N1CK but still nothing.

I haven't really seen any around. What species of freshwater shrimp are available in NZ?

Just the natives, best to do a cold water species tank, or maybe with some WCMM.

I'm guessing we don't have any Caridina japonica aka. Amano Shrimp?

RCS are nicer IMO, but no, none of the tropical shrimp species. It's a shame, but I guess it's all for our ecosystem and what not.

Is the prawn farm in Taupo aloud to sell you live prawns?

Well you can catch them with fishing rods... and then they give you a little bucket of icey water to put them in that kills them, so if you took a backpack and bag or a container etc and caught some and killed them to make that look ligit and then put the last one you catch in the container/bag, try and keep it alive, you'd be able to get it home and in a tank.

Only catch is some of the shrimp you catch are monsters! One of the ones we caught at New Years was about 30cm long... :o It's nippers were huge and when I was trying to get it off my friends hook it was not a happy camper and wouldn't let go of my fingers.... Not something I would like in my tank!!

nah, I think imported, not native, but what do i know, im not a shrimp expert lol :lol:

:o There is a small chance it could have got through on some moss or something, but them knowing it was an Amano shrimp seems strange. Perhaps next time you're there you could ask them what shrimp we can/have had imported? 8)

haha lol, it was a mistaken import, came in with plants by itself, i just guessed it was amano, coz it wasnt colourful, kinda looked like one.

:o Too bad there was only one :( If it got through then... Don't let N1CK see this thread! He'll start getting ideas! :o :lol: