Dwarf f/w puffer keepers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)

breakaway

Overnight, we've lost 2 more. The Remaining 2 two look like they're circling the drain. Water parameters are good as gold. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I noticed no behavioural changes last night when feeding them brine shrimp. All of them ate to their fill.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water in the tank is contaminated. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were all 0, but it's still contaminated.

I put my "canary in a gold mine" guppy into it, and it was dead inside 12 hours.

I don't know what could have possibly caused this.. just the other day, I drained 99% of the water out and replaced it with 'good' water from my 40L tank.

Perhaps there is a contaminant in the filter? Or the heater? But that doesn't make any sense because the fry lived there happily for many days.

The last thing I added to the tank was the heater. I obviously washed it thoroughly before placing it into the tank. Is there any way the heater can cause this?

What about ph?

I had a tub floating in a tank with gourami fry in it that I swapped water out of the main tank with get up to a ph of 8 - the main tank was 6.5

Was feeding BBS that was drained and put into tank water and fed out with a pipette, and do not know the cause of the rise in ph.

I had to very slowly get it back down because a large water change would cause a huge swing.

pH was normal, I checked the pH after the death of the puffers and it was 7.2. I then put the guppy in, which died in under 12 hours. This leads me to believe there's some sort of contaminant in the water that isn't nitrate, nitrite or pH.

:cry: Gutted.

On a brighter note my puffer tank replant started today should have it finished buy the end of the week. Moss wall and more star grass to come plus a few terracotta pots.

36929_408909932033_742447033_4636033_1742052_n.jpg

36929_408909922033_742447033_4636031_7565307_n.jpg

There are 5 puffers 1-2 males they are still small, The betta is just there to eat the left over worms.

On a brighter note my puffer tank replant started today should have it finished buy the end of the week. Moss wall and more star grass to come plus a few terracotta pots.

Looks even better (and bigger) in person. 8) :hail:

• 4 weeks later...

Alright have just had these fish breed again. Did a water change (I have 3 males, 3 females in my 200L heavily planted CO2 rich tank) and 4 of them paired up and started breeding. Syphoned out 3 eggs.

Also have 1 fry that is 2 months old, and doing well.

Has anyone else had any luck at breeding these fish?

Yeah ok gatito, will take em if you need to find them a new home.

thanks, but "need" would be very figurative indeed, as in "i NEED to get that ghost knife but the puffs will eat him!". Working on hubby, i'm sure just one more tank will be the go eventually, but every now and then i think about moving them on to avoid flaring up the MTS :lol:

Puffers do have their own personality, I'd try getting both to co-exist. I released a tiny guppy fry into my puffer tank thinking it'd be a quick meal for them, but they weren't even interested in it. It grew to a huge size before I removed it from the tank. They didn't seem bothered by it at.

Definitely worth setting up a species tank for them, they're such great fish to watch (especially when they pick their sleeping spot at night!)

Your right there, personality a plenty. Mines fine with his bumble bee gobies too, its as if they dont even see each other, though hes partial to their eggs when he finds them. I cant wait till I find him a couple of girls! then Ill get the gobies their own tank so I can save the fry when they hatch.

Yes i love hunting for them at night when they've gone to rest somewhere! Very cute.

Mine live with loaches (golden zebra, angelicus, another variety similar to the angelicus, and one i have no clue on), and some oto's. They pay no notice to them, but went nuts over a betta i placed in a cage inside their tank briefly. Maybe I could get another tank ready, and try the ghost, but be ready to rescue him if they have a go.

• 1 month later...
Yes i love hunting for them at night when they've gone to rest somewhere! Very cute.

Mine live with loaches (golden zebra, angelicus, another variety similar to the angelicus, and one i have no clue on), and some oto's. They pay no notice to them, but went nuts over a betta i placed in a cage inside their tank briefly. Maybe I could get another tank ready, and try the ghost, but be ready to rescue him if they have a go.

A bit of an update for whoever's interested. You'll never guess who's living happily with these guys now. Tank has golden zebra, angelicus and tiger loaches, 3 adult dwarf puffers, 2 gba's, oto's, 2 black line flying fox and.... (drumroll)... 12 tiger barbs. I couldn't believe it, took a lot of deliberation before we tried it, but they're fine, hang out together and everything.

Good stuff. On the other end of the scale, I'm having terrible luck with puffer fry, and have lost 3 batches so far. They still breed very often, but if I lose my current batch completely (down from 5 to 3) I'm going to give up attempting to raise them I think :-?

or at least give yourself a bit of a break before trying again :) . Have you looked at the gh/kh of the water and whether that could be a factor?