mollie hunt

xxdarnixx

Is anybody currently keeping these Mollies? I live in Auckland so its a big drive to get down and check them out.

Another question do they hold their green colouration after being placed in tanks and/or bred? I ask this cause I’m curious to know if it’s diet of environment that keeps these guys green. I would take punt that they may loose their green after time in captivity or the offspring my be colourless (no green trait).

Depending on where you are in Auckland we could bring some next time we're up (next month hopefully).

They're maybe just under half size, mostly male it seems. It's hard to tell if they're green or colourless, they have this irridecent purpley grey shimmer to them. All in amazing condition, the swamp really must be good for them!

They sound quite interesting. I’ve know of them for years but I’m so far from them I can’t pay the swamp a visit unless I’m down there for other reasons.

The only fish I know of in my area are Gambusia and nobody wants those. Except maybe some oscar owners and the likes of. But you really shouldn’t remove them unless you intend to give them a quick end.

I tested the temperature when we were there too, it's about 30 degrees, possibly more in some areas. I kinda fell in (can't help being permanently clumsy :roll: ) so I can tell you that even in shoes the mud is HOT! Haha!

I've got them in a tank with lots of salt, temperature sits at about 29.

By the way, we're keen to organise a hunt in the summer as it's a wee bit cold down here now, a lazy 4 degrees in the mornings, a bit cold for some I would assume. It's about half an hours drive from our house. Will try and sort something out if a lot of people are keen. BBQ and molly hunt? :wink::P

It would be interesting to have some do let me know if you bring some up to Auckland. I'd be keen to breed and supply some to locals that can't make the trip.

I'm pretty strong in the belief they don't hold that wild green colour in captivity especially after your comment about the purple colouration. Like how flamingos are only ping due to their diet of brine shrimp. And farmed salmon are feed carrotine extract to give their flesh a natural peach colour as in the wild their shrimp diet gives them that colour.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...