You know you're addicted to fish when _______?

SamH

I can understand marine tanks using a lot of power, but freshwater, seriously? :o They use hardly any electricity, so why would your parents be concerned about more tanks using too much power? If it was a fish room then that would make sense, but a few tanks is nothing for them to be worried about :D

My parents aren't worried about the cost of electricity, but the fact that the tanks are in my room. If we had a bigger house I'd be allowed a fish room, and mum would really love me to get a reef tank too because she loves the invertebrates and corals and the colours of saltwater fishes :)

I have never actually worked out how much power I use, so haven't been able to use that argument, but they also complain about water usage, as we are on tank, and they don't like buying it/haven't bought water in my life time.

But back on topic:

When your mum says "are you sure you want to spend that much on fish?????"

And you reply (in an offhand sort of voice) "yea, it really isnt that much to spend on fish. ($90).

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

water useage of a tank = cents per month....

power useage of a tank on average between $2 and $5 per month

lighting being the biggest user.....

if you want to win that argument just find out what power your TV uses.... that will normally shut them up

wish my tanks would only use $2-$5 a month, I attribute around $150-$250 of my monthly bill on fish tanks. currently 7 running

a 1200 is 30W for a 250L tank, and its in the high range for canister filters for power useage.

The eheim 2075 uses just 16W for up to 600L tanks

my fry tanks run on air pumps (one at 5W for 2 tanks) my smaller HOB filter runs at 3W, plus 2x 50W heaters (which are not on 24 hours a day). all tanks have 3 sided insulation i'd guestimate about 3-4 hours a day heater is on

work out how much your tank costs....

take the wattage of the item, times it by how many hours a day it is on, divide it by 1000 to get useage in KWH per day, times it by 30 for monthly usage.

grab a power bill and work out the cost by multiplying your result by whatever you are paying per unit (use the higher amount to make your argument stronger. :P )

and voila.... perfect excuse for another tank....

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...