Blue Native Freshwater Shrimp

Bertron

BLUE?!

Wow, never heard of that!! I had a look in the NZ Freshwater Crustacea book and it didn't mention it either.

I don't supposed yo got a photo?

I hadn't read the shrimp section before. Turns out larvae only last about a week in freshwater, but can go through several moults when in sea water. Nice to have that one confirmed.

When putting mine in my aquaria today they all looked clear. (the pregnant females had some goldish banding on them vertically down the back and horizontally across their body segments, but no bluish tones. Skippy got the real blue one, so I'll ask him what colour it was today.

Oh no! My favourite fishing spot has been rumbled!

Let me guess, you found them at the top of the wier in the shallow part to the right.

Did you see any whitebait? I went a week or so ago but the river was still too full from all the rain. I plan on paying a visit tomorrow night when I finish at the hospital at 11.

Then I plan on going to a nice little waterfall near Totora Park in Upper Hutt that goes nowhere I found the other night and take some photo's of the huge crays I found there. 2 of which were packed with roe.

P.

Oh no! My favourite fishing spot has been rumbled!

Let me guess, you found them at the top of the wier in the shallow part to the right.

Did you see any whitebait? I went a week or so ago but the river was still too full from all the rain. I plan on paying a visit tomorrow night when I finish at the hospital at 11.

Then I plan on going to a nice little waterfall near Totora Park in Upper Hutt that goes nowhere I found the other night and take some photo's of the huge crays I found there. 2 of which were packed with roe.

P.

haha yes - no whitebait but i think i caught a bullie (real small one) so thats in the tank with the shrimp and my swordtail babies and will see if i can grow it up

I would imagine it's a Bullie, there's usually lots of them about at the base of the wier, not so many up where the shrimp are. You can see some really nice sizes around there too, 10cm+ if your lucky. When the rivers nice and low and creates a calm spot at the base of the wier it really comes alive with Bullies, Eels and Shrimp. From memory it was late December last year when the whitebait were all over the place. I have seen junior trout and a large Kokopu in that spot before.

i went to work yesterday morning and i get a call from the wife - why did you put a fish on the kitchen bench ? i said - what are you talking about - she said theres this brown fish on the bench - darn bullie jumped out after being fed in the morning and then the wifey found it - doh

and tonight i think i found the blue shrimp - its changed slightly from a clearish blue to a almost solid brown but still has some blue tinges on the tail.

LOL oops! (Did it survive?)

I have not had a bully truly escape on me so I don't know how good they are at surviving out of water.

Bullies are not real climbers like some natives are (damned koaro). But they will skitter vertically up and down the sides of the tank, and escape can be a side effect of this. I was watching one doing this then suddenly plop! he was on the wrong side of the glass looking rather surprised!

I have also seen bullies in a 20lt bucket jump at the sides. They will get up to two body-lengths up the side and stick on, but fall back down after a few seconds.