Cherry Shrimp - Import Application

piggyvir

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol i know, only just saw this. I didn't know they were illegal??

I've heard of someone claiming they had some... but I doubt it. The only FW shrimp available here are our natives, which require temps preferably under 21 degrees, making them unsuitable for tropical tanks.

I'm not sure. Are they likely to be a pest in NZ? - as in if someone let them free into NZ waters? I'd say they probably wouldn't be a pest because of their difficulty surviving in cold waters... If they're not going to be a pest surely it shouldn't be illegal. But I don't know the laws surrounding this.. Any thoughts?

I honestly don't know what happens when inverts are in NZ - we have several pest snail species which are (presumably) legal to keep but cannot be imported. I'm picking it's a case-by-case basis as to what happens when the invert is in NZ?

I'm not sure. Are they likely to be a pest in NZ? - as in if someone let them free into NZ waters? I'd say they probably wouldn't be a pest because of their difficulty surviving in cold waters... If they're not going to be a pest surely it shouldn't be illegal. But I don't know the laws surrounding this.. Any thoughts?

The law/MPI/MAF etc doesn't care if you think they shouldn't be a pest and shouldn't be illegal. They care if you can prove they won't be. I'm sure if you can do that, and follow the correct process they will be added to the import list.

Will never be allowed to be imported in our lifetime, :sml1: :sml1:

The correct process may in fact involve overthrowing the government and setting yourself up as ruling warlord, but still. You follow the process it can be done...

• 1 month later...
Are they laws regarding the selling or RCS and CRS in NZ?

I would honestly say ask MPI. It's hard to tell what the laws are when the organism is in NZ, and there's a big possibility that if they're considered "new" (eg recently imported illegally) that they will be deemed illegal. It also depends on how risky they see the organism as. It would be really good if you can let them know if there is an established population in NZ as while I've heard a couple of rumours, I've not actually seen any myself.

What I belive has to happen with this kind of thing is any species that can't suvive below 15 degrees should auto maticly be put on the import list they should have to go through all the normal processes and this would greatly increase variety I know cherry shrimp can suvive below that so should not be brought in but there much cooler freshwater shrimp that fit in the above requiments like blue tigers

What I belive has to happen with this kind of thing is any species that can't suvive below 15 degrees should auto maticly be put on the import list they should have to go through all the normal processes and this would greatly increase variety I know cherry shrimp can suvive below that so should not be brought in but there much cooler freshwater shrimp that fit in the above requiments like blue tigers

Unfortunately it's not that easy. As these guys have a short lifecycle, they are much more likely to adapt to cooler temps over time and the likelihood of being allowed to import any freshwater invert is very low. Yes, it sucks, but it does mean that we're helping to protect our native animals which are much more important than our desires as hobbyists.

Crystal Red Shrimp = CRS

Red Cherry Shrimp = RCS

There are a few diseases that shrimp suffer from and in aquaculture overseas many new diseases are popping up that wipe out entire farms and are just called EMS early mortality syndrome. Shrimp can carry these diseases such as White spot syndrome (WSS) a viral infection of penaeid shrimp. The disease is highly lethal and contagious, and easily transferred to other crustaceans.