Tail Clamping?

imsweet

In the last 2 days, 2 different breed of young killies have presented with their tail fins in a point rather than splayed. They seem to have trouble keeping swimming and the youngest was almost pale and slightly bent. Now i have only done 1 water change in the last month :roll: neglect i know..... would this be the only problem? they (fishes) were all fine yesterday and the days before. Apart from a decent water change tomorrow, is there anything else i can do? Is it worth chucking them into a seperate container?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Barrie (et al),

I used to keep a baseline sodium chloride level of about that in all my killie tanks. Velvet is a big problem with Nothobranchius spp (IMHO), especially fry, and so I always kept a eye on them and would crank the levels up if required. Species from other genera seem more robust (maybe Ps. annulatus excluded) but a low level of salt has never been a problem with the various species I've bred.

BTW: This level of salt doesn't hurt plants, not even Crypts (who are supposed to be very salt-intolerant).

There are some people who beleive that if your water quality is good enough then you don't need salt (Hi Stella) but I disagree with regard to some species of killifish.

Andrew.

I havnt noticed any problems with Annulatus and funny enough, they are one that I dont keep salt with

With notho fry, Ive started keeping the fry in water with a bit of meth blue with great success. daily water changes slowly reduce the meth blue and within a week to 10 days, the danger period has passed and so has the meth blue

BTW, did you ever breed C. Whitei?