Newt Advice needed for my 9 year old son

Culture your own fruit flies and find spots to get the shiny green or brown aphids (they don't like the grey or fluffy ones) and this will cut your food bill. Put a slice of apple in there and that atracts the fruit flies and you can always easily tell if there is food available.You can feed whiteworms now and then when they are bigger. Give them places to hide.

Get the book: Keeping fire bellied newts by TJ Thornton published by TJ'S books PO box 327 Warkworth

TJs_ Books@xtra.co.nz

I think it is less than $20

They are not that easy to raise from eggs as they need brine shrimp nuplii (can feed daphnia but not as good),and need to be seperated into groups the same size. They are like axies and eat each other but unlike axies the bits don't regrow.

You want to have about half land half water. (the water needs to be dechlorinated.)

you can feed them aphids, (from the garden) wingless fruit flys (avalible from the pet shop, culture your own my putting small peices of bannana and apple in the tub) and will also eat daphnia (a type of aquatic micro organisim) but daphnia should just suppliment the diet because some juvenile newts won't wan't to get in to the water.

the tank should be at a good size about two feet long for two adult newts. on and a half feet for just the one. they will need a mesh lid on their tank other wise they can escape.

Thats just how I keep mine some people do it differently.

We fixed up the newt tank today. I've had a two foot tank with a cracked base sitting around for a while, one of those "I'll fix it soon" jobs. The glass cutting lessons that Barrie gave at the AK Fishkeepers meeting about a year ago came in handy to make Dad look like he knew what he was doing. I'm glad I didn't throw out those bits of glass.

The tank has been divided in two with a ramp for the water side and patches over the cracks on the land side. I've got a tiny internal filter that will sit in a six inch deep pool with no difficulty and a two foot light for it as well.

The week long wait before water testing is definitely going to try his patience. But all up it was a great 'Father and Son' project. :D

If you want to pm me your address I'll pop some eggs in the post for your son :D It would be nice to return the favours you've done me with the guppies and plants :wink: By the way I managed to get a female angelfish to go with those boys so they will be going in a breeding tank soon, fingers crossed!

Rebecca

Thanks Livingart and Rebecca. :hail:

What do you use for the 'land' substrate?

I was going to use potting mix but I've read that you have to watch out for newts eating small pebbles. Do you have to be carefull about newts eating the pummice granules in most potting mixes? What about Sand? Sphagnum moss? Seed raising mix?

Any recommendations on plants?

Thanks Livingart and Rebecca. :hail:

What do you use for the 'land' substrate?

I was going to use potting mix but I've read that you have to watch out for newts eating small pebbles. Do you have to be carefull about newts eating the pummice granules in most potting mixes? What about Sand? Sphagnum moss? Seed raising mix?

Any recommendations on plants?

for substrate i recomend large pebals big enough not to ingest and moss overtop newts love it! and potting mix with fertalisers is danjerous