I have a baby rabbit, what do i do?

smidey

I have caught a baby rabbit on a golf course today, i would guess its about 2 weeks old. it is about 10cm long over all & quite clumsy. i have fed it goats milk with a syringe, each time about 5mls & it seems to take it well & cleans itself after & looks to go to sleep. is this what i should be doing, any other tips you can share?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was on the golf course and not in a burrow and its eyes are open it will be eating grass as well

you can water down the goars milk by up to 50%

greens, carrots, etc, rabbit pellets as well

lettuce is just full of water

awesome, i hope you would see this being the fountain of knowledge you are :hail:

i will apply all & see how it goes. i tried to feed it sprouts but it wasn't keen. actually i'm not keen on them either so possibly not the best option. :D

it maybe at an age where it is first coming out of the burrow and going back to still be fed by mum of an evening

the females cover the burrow over all day and just feed young 2x a day, evening and morning

keep up the goats milk as the more it is handled (within reason) the tamer it will become

it should settle quickly, as it hasn't learnt to fear things yet

they are basically designed to eat grass and vegetation and need this or other roughage in their diet long term to keep their teeth from growing too long

P.S. wrap it up and keep it warm :D

this morning it seems to be doing well. i fed it again but it doesn't seem to be interested in grass or carrot. I would say that it is the age where its still feeding from its mum so will keep doing that & leave the food with it, maybe it will cotton on. it is getting plenty of attention from my kiddies (8, 5 & 2), they are very keen on it :D

Apparently it can be very difficult to raise baby rabbits. They often die unexpectedly. Just when you think they are doing ok. They need bacteria in their gut to digest their food - they get that from their mum.

The thing to do is to go find some fresh rabbit poo and put a pellet in their milk/water. Do that regularly.

We had 5 wild rabbits that survived but I think they were bigger than yours. The other tiny ones ( eyes shut) we have had died. One vet suggested melted vanilla icecream to feed young ones.

We fed them all sorts of grass/weeds. They eat and poop heaps. They loved dandylion, clover(esp the flower) and a broadleafed weed I cant remember the name of. Also grass seed heads. They became tame really quickly- they are sooooo cute.

I will see if I have saved any articles on raising them

Good Luck.

well today the bunny has really taken off, he is eating well & running around the lounge very well. yesterday he was quite sleepy & wasn't very active at all although it has grown well since we have had him. the only issue i have now is keeping an active little bunny away from the cats that assure me he is their dinner.