Clowns with whitespot

xmamx

Hello all,

Really worried about my clowns, i have 11 and they all have white spot. I noticed on saturday the 27th and did a half dose of Wunder White spot cure (150 drops in 300 litre tank) and also raised the temp to 27. Then on sunday raised the temp up to 29 and did another quarter dose on Monday (75 drops). The white spot still hasnt gone away and i am worried i might lose some of my clowns (some 12 - 15cms long). Is there anything I can do to help, ie. Water changes etc. How bad does it need to get before clowns will die from it as some of them have heaps of spots on them :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Thanks all,

Nathan

I had this problem once, Went and bought another bottle of whitspot sure, and it worked... could just be a dodgy batch like i had, I've also done the salt method, but you'll need someone else to give you directions, as someone else on here gave me the dose for my particular tank.

Thanks guys, just did a 75% water change and dosed the tank again with wunder white spot cure as i read that its best to dose after a water change. The reason i did a half dose, is because I have read that you should always half dose with clowns as the are very sensitive to chemicals and have read that a lot of ppl have killed their clowns by dosing to much. Hopefully it will clear up otherwise i might have to try a larger dose next time. Will also get some more salt i think.

Cheers,

Xmamx

Untrue regarding the sensitivity. Many assume CL's don't have scales just because they cannot be seen; and this apparent lack of scales makes them scale-less and thus very sensitive to meth blue and other ich treatments. In reality the only part of the CLown Loach that does not have scales is the head. They have very small scales all over the rest of their body. So don't worry about half dosing with Clowns, they are among the hardiest fish I have ever kept! :D

Still got white spot on the clowns and one of my 14cm clowns is covered. It doesnt seem to go away, have yet to see the stage where it drops off the fish and its been 8 days now and the temperature of the tank is 29degrees. Will do another full gravel vac and water chage today as well as dose again with the new bottle of white spot cure i bought and hope that the clowns pull through. Non of my other fish in the tank have whitespot just the clowns, very strange why it is not going away.

The first time i did a half does due to reading everywhere that clowns dont usually like full doses of meds. After the big water change i did a 3/4 dose and then 2 days later another half dose (wunder advises full dose first day and half dose third day) so i have nearly done a full dose or sorts. When i do the water change today i will do the full dose on the bottle as the clowns did not react to the larger dose i did. Hopefully that will sort it out, i also have a lot plants in my tank so salt could be bad for them and raising the temp any higher could also cause them problems. I also read that plants can soak up the melachite green in meds is well so not sure if that is happening or not.

Cheers,

Xmamx

Yeah thats what i am going to do today, the full dose as advised on the bottle. Will do that after i do a large water change and gravel vac. I need to find a tap water mixer so i can mix hot and cold into my hose as its hard work filling a 300 litre tank and trying to keep the temperature from fluctuating to much.

I need to find a tap water mixer so i can mix hot and cold into my hose as its hard work filling a 300 litre tank and trying to keep the temperature from fluctuating to much.

don't worry too much about that, i do 50% changes evry week in my 300L & it only takes about 3 hours to get back up to temp. i have always done 40 to 50% changes & the temp often drops to 15 or so & i haven't lost any fish from it. You can pour a few buckets of hot water after its almost filled to bring the temp up a bit to if it really worries you.

Thats what i normally do but i also read that when you are treating for white spot you should try and keep the temperature from changing to much. Maybe i just read to much and therefore end up contradicting myself when it comes to treating my fish.

Thats what i normally do but i also read that when you are treating for white spot you should try and keep the temperature from changing to much. Maybe i just read to much and therefore end up contradicting myself when it comes to treating my fish.

i tend to take the advice from the manufacturer over others opinions (sensibly & with in reason of course) as they designed/manufactured the product so i would accept that they know more about it than i do. :D

Thats actually quite a good point, as wunder white spot does not advise anything about harming loaches or harming certain fish and you would think if it was dangerous they would mention it on the bottle. Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers,

Xmamx

The weather down this way has brought the white spot out. We struck 2 gold fish tanks with it today but should have it cleared up in no time. I was talking to a wholesaler of fish recently and he recommended (for clowns) not to move them but treat whole tank and did not recommend raising temp either. I am about to move some tomorrow and dreading it.

I did the full dose like i said in my last post and did the 1/2 dose today but two of my clowns are looking very tired and acting strange. Still have yet to notice the spots dropping off which is very strange as i have done water changes etc. I will just have to keep on treating the tank and hope that it sorts itself out. :roll:

Here is a pic of one of my large clowns, some of the other clowns do look to be slightly clearing up but this clown and another small clown seem to be getting on their last leg (or fins) which is a bugger. I think i am going to loose the small one. I am going to do another 75% water change and full redose tonight.

crazy1.jpg

This big clown has got one crazy eye, was like that when i bought him, hence why the eye looks strange.

Cheers,

Xmamx

It can be cured.

you will need another tank. acriflavine and formalin (5%), with salt.

the temp should be at 30degrees.

NO water changes for the first 2 days.

then do a 50% on the third day - top it up with water and salt. if the spots are still that bad - redose acriflavine (or melachite green) and formalin again.

If you have some snail rid, add about 3mL to 20L of water (copper is needed).

the above treatment is NOT your general remedy for ich, but after 2 weeks of hell and no results with any other method - this will work.

oxygenate the living daylights out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...