What heating are you using for lizards?

Insect Direct

Just curious what people are using. Mainly for the cold nights. Daytime i just use heat lamps

I find the ceramic emitters good but i see a heat pad advertised for about the same price ($50) which got me thinking........I know people say bottom heat is not natural, but the beardies especially seem to like jumping on warm rocks :D

I use ceramic heat emitters and a light bulb as a boost in the winter (which I have just stopped using with the warmer weather). I have been told that beardies have no heat sensitivity on the underside so can get over heated with heat pads or rocks. Have not been able to confirm or deny, but don't use just in case.

So natural radiation from rocks in the wild is bad?

No because it is unlikely that the rocks would get scalding hot, unless, possibly during the middle of the day. During that time you wont find many reptiles basking, for just that reason, because it is way too hot. In the wild, reptiles usually bask in the mid morning sun, or the afternoon sun, and keep out of direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day.

The problem with heat pads is that they come with no heat regulation, this combined with bearded dragons natural lack of heat sensitivity underneath provides a situation where burns can occur. By connecting a thermostat to the heat pad, and placing the probe on its surface, you should be able to regulate the temp quite accurately, I would also suggest placing something over the heat mat so that your dragon cannot come in direct contact.

I use Exotic Pet Supplies melamine enclosures for my 3 girls, much less heating is required. I have a ceramic heat lamp controlled by a thermostat which is on constantly, this regulates the daytime ambient temp, and provides the night heating. I use a 100W basking lamp for the hot side, this is controlled by a dimmer which is set to about half during summer. This doubles the life of the lamp and provides more heat for less power. I have never had to use any other heat sources since I got these enclosures.

In this pic there is a 40W lamp on the cool side, pic is from when I first got it. Didn't need it once everything was running.

CIMG3220.jpg

I use a ceramic heat bulb for mine in the winter during the day but it is surrounded with bricks on sides and on top with a felt pad on top to make sure that they cant get burned, tho there is no real risk of that. The bulb is on a timer which is turned on and of regularly. I have eastern dragons that do not need so much heat and they are kept in a glasshouse and bought inside at night. The felt pad on top of the bricks also absorbs heat from the sun during the day as it is black. By the way my dragons behave I would say they can feel the heat under them by the way they flatten themselves against against the felt on cooler days.

from what I have seen of other peoples dragons they like to spend alot of time climbing so if you use lights or heat emmiters they get closer to the heat any way so under terrarium heat might be less effective?

(don't take my word just somthing I noticed when watching them.)

beardies seem to prefer to hang out at the highest point when basking/during day so i make the basking site just that. rest very simple for feeding bugs.

night time they normally go to lower parts and hide away.

heat emitters are good, although if they blow you have to be onto it, to notice...dont want cold lizards

also i like to have a light over basking area so its bright. emitter on its own doesnt seem rite to me during the day.