Carnivorous plants

Sharkie

yep, got a small collection of natives and exotics. Also PeteS and AJBroome here know more than me (all of us from Palmy)

Look into the NZ Carnivorous Plant Society, there is a website with various info.

You might have trouble with growing some outside, as they need it warm and humid. They will also die back to almost nothing over winter and come back in spring. If you have bought them from a shop etc they were probably raised in a glasshouse and won't take to kindly to being put outside without being hardened off a bit.

I can't recommend the book "the Savage Garden" more :) interesting and engaging.

Phoenix, running out of flies would not have killed your flytrap. You really should never have to feed your cps unless they are in a small enclosed environment with no bugs. And they don't need to eat regularly. Chances are it did not get enough water or went into winter dormancy and you thought it had died...

I wasn't suggesting you were buying flies....

I have a bunch of cps inside and I NEVER feed them, they get little gnats and things that I don't even notice. They really don't NEED to eat invertebrates. They also don't need specifically flies, others are acceptable.

By a warm enclosed environment I mean a small terrerium with a closed lid or similar. But a vft can live in one ofr those for a very long time (if all other needs are met) without insect food.

It is just the chances of killing a vft due to lack to food is very low, compared to the chances of other things killing it.

Most people assume their vft has died when it goes dormant for winter - all the leaves can die off and nothing live is visible. Apparently a 'killed' one turns to a mushy pulp.

How much water was it in?

i brought them of trade me from someone in otago who propogates them and said winter is fine thye will come away agin in spring.im looking at doing a terrarium for my fire bellied newts with ferns bromeliades (not sure of spelling) and was wandering if some of these fly traps and pitcher plants would be ok or would they eat my newts? any ides as the conditions inside the tank would be ferfect for them would be a big tank to about 6 ft long 2 ft deep.

Hi,

> Just wandering if anyone off here keeps these amazing plants?

I just got back from a NZ Carnivorous Plant Society (NZCPS) meeting in Auckland, featuring two talks by the author Stewart MacPherson.

http://www.nzcps.co.nz/

There's a fairly enthusiastic group of growers in NZ (including some in the Hamilton area) and many species and varieties are available. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Andrew.

• 7 years later...

I know this is a massive Necro - but are there any Carnie groups still running?  I was a member of the NZCPS a couple of decades ago with a pretty big collection and am keen to get back into them.  Just a little harder in North Canty, the air is dry, sun hot and water hard.