Angelfish male:female ratio

Chantal

Just wondering whether it is best with Angels to have more females than males or an even number of both?

I currently have 3 Angels, 1 female and 2 males, I am going to get at least 1 more female on Saturday as the males keep arguing over my girl! Fingers crossed adding at least 1 more girl sorts them out!

ive always seen 1 to 1 male:female, eing that they pair off and both will look after the eggs if given the oppertunity. might make it easier if you have 2 breeder tanks for each pair too. then you can let them "do thea thang" and remove them back to a normal tank.

ive heard that placing a peice o tile/ slate on the side of the tank also is a good idea as they will lay onto this and it can be easily removed and put into a rearing tank.

i was going to breed my gold atlum angel then she got finrot and died in a couple days... too quick for me to do anything about it, and i still dont know exactly Y... :(

good luck!

:x Stupid husband overfed my fish last night (not sure what he was thinking when he appears to have poured bottom feeder tablets into the tank) and 2 of the angels died :( Solves my problem in that I can just get 1 more to be a friend to the one left.

I'm kicking myself for not cleaning the tank out last night when i got home (it was 11pm, but still, if I'd cleaned it...), I saw the disintegrating pellets sitting there, scooped out what i could with the net thinking they'd be ok till the morning when I'd clean them properly. Unfortunately I was wrong and I got up to find 2 dead angels and 1 of the tetras dead. Everyone else seems ok now, were gasping for air but seem much happier now I've done a major cleaning job.

So so angry with hubby though, just wait till I see him later... :evil:

Ohhh NO Chantal, thats terrible :o

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Fishys :cry:

Probably caused an Ammonia Spike with all that food wasting away :roll:

Have you tested your Water Parameters this morning??

Would be good if you could Edit your Profile and include your Location, you can do this by going to the User Control Panel, located on the Top right hand corner of the Screen.

Yeah I cleaned the tank out, changed nearly 1/2 the water. Fish are all much happier now and so far look to be healthy. Tested the water and all good after clean. Not feeding the fish today and will play it by air about tomorrow. I will probably change some water in another day or two as well to get it back to perfect again. The tank is still pretty cloudy :(

Luckily hubby is very sorry and apologetic, I think he genuinely didn't realise it could kill them. He is no longer allowed to feed the fish though! He actually dumped pretty much a whole 50g container of Nutrafin pellets in there so no wonder they carked it, when they'd usually get 1 pellet!

Not sure if anyone on here can help me or not now though, I'm not sure whether to find my 1 lonely Angel a friend (keeping in mind my angel is a fully grown male) or maybe finding him a new home and starting fresh with babies?? I understand I can't get babies with him as he'll most likely attack them, so am now just unsure what to do. Obviously I'll be waiting till he's got the all clear after this incident before doing anything anyway!

My tank is 160L and currently just has 1 angel, 1 pleco, 1 britlenose, 1 flying fox, & 9 black widow tetras (and it looks rather empty!)

I will keep an eye out on tm etc for a larger size angel, the babies you buy in shops are just so tiny that I'd hate him to freak it out (and you can't tell their sex). Is it ok to have 2 males together without a female, or will they just argue?

Sometimes it's hard to tell Males and Female apart, I would be getting your numbers upto say 6 Angels, they will pair off in time, then you will know which is Male and which is Female. You will then more than likely end up with a breeding pair somewhere along the line.

You cetainly have the room to fit in 5 More.