Help! Turtles not eating but still moving!!!

nick777

Hi all

My turtles are 3 years old and this is the first year they are spending winter outside. Is it normal they are not eating? They still seem to move around so don't think they're hibernating...It's been like this for about 2 months since the weather got cold...are they going to be alright??? :cry:

Thanks

if they go into hibernation with food in there bellies it can rot inside them so probably why they are not eating as they will be slowing down to hibernate, turtles in hibernation can wake up on a warm day and go sun themselves then go back into hibernation!!

PM donnaM for more hibernation details

how deep? if too shallow and no muck on the bottom as Living Art suggested then will be struggling with the cold, might be a good idea to bring them in for the rest of winter if possible and re-try next year with the setup more suitable

Yes a heater in the water would bring temp up...but do it SLOWLY...dont even bother to try feeeding until they look really active and have 'normal' behaviours. Check out http://www.happyturtlespub for some great turtle advice from people in USA where the RES originates from. I agree with Livingart that moving them inside somewhere would be advisable. Thats not a big/deep enough environment for them to successfully hibernate in and they really need to have something to burrow themselves into to stay warm. My hibernating lot move under water and stare at me when I check on them, but I wouldnt disturb them in any way. :)

mmm...I hope it was OK to post that link....its a very good site specific to turtles so thought it would help :o