Freshwater Shrimp Paratya curvirostris in Wellington

Bertron

Does anybody know where you can catch Paratya curvirostris in the Wellington area?

I have some in my aquarium, which I caught in Hawkes bay. They are great at keeping it clean. However I have another aquarium now and wanted to catch some more, but I have moved to Wellington and do not know where they can be found. Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Bert

I didn't lose any shrimp until I had had them for about six months, the ones in the cooler tank were the first to go. They seem quite happy in the warm water.

Have you heard of anywhere to catch them in the Wellington area? I have tried a few streams, I have dredged up lots of insect larvae and a few bullies, but no shrimps.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say they would be fine with the algae eater. Mine live in a tropical tank with 3 bettas and a bristle nose plec.

I have found a good place to get them, you need to go when it is dark though. The wier on the Hutt river, near the Silverstream exit of SH2.

• 2 weeks later...

i have them in the stream in the backyard, im in kapiti.

i have had them go from stream temp, which is pretty cold, i think about 9 degrees, and gradually increased the temp over a month or so to 24, and those ones live till the tank smashed. about 2 months later.

get about 100 or so in about half hour during the day. they were happy in my native tank, put some in with my oscar and gold sev, they all died after a week or so, im guessing due to the sudden temp change. oscar didn't eat them but sev ate them if i cut em in half.

• 1 year later...
Does anybody know where you can catch Paratya curvirostris in the Wellington area?

I have some in my aquarium, which I caught in Hawkes bay. They are great at keeping it clean. However I have another aquarium now and wanted to catch some more, but I have moved to Wellington and do not know where they can be found. Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Bert

Hi Bert, Can you tell me where you found them in Hawkes Bay (we live in Hastings) as I would like some.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

If you're still looking, then I remember seeing some in the wellington harbor lagoon-type-thing. But they started construction next to it recently so I don't know how easy it would be to collect them :S

Then the other day I saw some in the plants tank of the Lower Hutt Pet Centre ;3 not sure if they were selling them :/

I have heard you can get them literally a few houses down from where you live... *hint hint*. Do you know the stream I am talking about?

I haven't tried there myself but know of someone else who has caught some of those shrimp there at night but scooping at the sides of the stream with a net. Surely you must have tried this stream before, being that you are so close to it, but maybe its not a good time of the year or they have all been fished out... hence why I don't want to give the stream name on here.

I have had a look in my local stream, but with no luck. The best place I have found around Wellington was in Silverstream, but last time I went there it was lifeless, although there had been council earthworks going on at the time.

Do you have freshwater shrimps in your tanks?

To Swag:

I cannot remember exactly where I got the shrimps in Hawke's bay, it was on the way to Taupo from Napier, I think its called the Esk river... there was a caravan camp there and I drove through it and just ran my net along vegetation at the stream edge, managed to get 4 or 5 shrimp there. Sorry I cannot be more specific. :( It was not more than 15km from the Napier coast though if that helps...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump! :bounce:

Saw some shrimp in a Lower Hutt pet store the other day — they were $3 each, I didn't get any since you can catch them yourself for free!

Anyone know a good spot or seen them somewhere recently? The Silverstream weir? Some where along the Hutt River?

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

:bounce:

So this is getting repetitive, but surely someone out there must know a spot for shrimp in welly?

I've been out hunting all over the show and havent come across any yet :(

Im thinking that most places I have been looking arent esturine enough (flow stright into the sea rather than an esturary) so think around Porirua harbour might be the most likely spot for my next foray...