Making a Tank

sparrowmayhem

yes i have made mine and yea it a bit cheaper and you get more pride out of making it than buying it.

as for the glass just go to some one like smith and smith or other glass shops shop around tho as some places are cheaper than others.

as for silicone i use selleys glass silicone sealant for windows and aquariums it takes a week to fully set but worth the wait so it dont leak ($15 per tube)

hope that helps you

It depends on how big the tank is but most of mine have been from 10mm glass. I found it cheaper to buy from a glass merchant and get the offcut peices as they are usually used in larger windows They will usually sell the offcuts at a cheaper rate. With thinner glass it is sold right down to smaller pieces so there realy are few offcuts. You can therefore get 10mm at a similar price to thinner glass. Also it pays to ask what they want for cutting to size as they do it all day and it saves you paying to get rid of the waste yourself. You need to know exactly the sizes you want. Paying cash helps as well.

just remember polished edges dont sick well give them a ruff up with sum sand paper before gluing .... Learned that lesson

Sorry mate but thats not correct

Some glass companies can use a spray polyurithane to gloss up the glass... it makes it nice and shinny...Silicone that is made for glass sticks possibly better to perfect surfaces

i have worked at a glass company before and i never herd of them using a spray polyurithane who dose this ? I know they used a UV glue for a mitered edge and that worked fine but i had polished edges on one of my huge tanks and i used silicon and it ended up splitting away from the glass had to ruff it up before gluing again and it worked sweet as

i have worked at a glass company before and i never herd of them using a spray polyurithane who dose this ? I know they used a UV glue for a mitered edge and that worked fine but i had polished edges on one of my huge tanks and i used silicon and it ended up splitting away from the glass had to ruff it up before gluing again and it worked sweet as

PM sent

UV glue should not be used in mitre joint as it sets with no give and expansion of one piece and retraction of the other will creat thermal breakages.

UV glue is normally used in a situation where maximum strength is needed and there is no temperature difference in glass.

It should never be used in aquaria

PM sent

UV glue should not be used in mitre joint as it sets with no give and expansion of one piece and retraction of the other will creat thermal breakages.

UV glue is normally used in a situation where maximum strength is needed and there is no temperature difference in glass.

It should never be used in aquaria

that i agree with and if a glazier tells you to use this then make sure you get it in writing that they will replace tank and fish if it brakes or the fish die.

Rick (to be fair) wasnt5 suggesting UV glue but I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

No glass merchant will or can offer a garentee other than leakage as the use of it is beyond out control

For instance. UV glue (it sets when exposed to UV light) is great to use in a showcase as its really clear and is best when the joint is very thin (Silicone works best when it has a 1mm or 2 of gap) so you get a very clean joint. I have made some like this for showcases for antique dolls and similar but after they leave my factory, I have no control what they will be used for.