Breeding Tortoises

2young

they don`t need or like company at all.Many problems are caused when you have two or more males together and amou\rous males harrassing females constantly.In fact females often withold their eggs if they do not have a territory of their own.In the wild they chance upon each other,if male/female they will mate and depart,if male/male they will fight and the dominant male will drive off the inferior one.Mating is more akin to what we know as rape so work it out for yourselves?This needing company thing is a human emotion put onto the animals by us and not them.

When Steph was asking about company l thought she meant with people.

I have only one tortoise and it appears to like company with people. Mine will come when called and will eat from you hand. It doesn't seem to mind been touch but it doesn't like been lifted and carried.

I am hoping to add to my one tortoise and Repto raise some very good points about keeping them separated....maybe l will just stick to the one tortoise!!!

people do keep them in colony situations but all sorts of behaviour and health problems such as extra worm contact etc can present themselves.Females get along fine in a group situation but that is not huge problem to many people I know here?Males have alsorts of dominance and sexual urges that they take out on their less dominant underlings.I know somwone who had 2 male spurthighs with the run of a quarter acre section,in the end he sold them off separatly as they would spend all day bashing into each other or homosexually engaged??