bell frog substrate

snake kid

the frog info from otago university says that frogs dont like a dirt/mud surface so i just went from there.

my pond is self contained so the rest of the terrarium is land.

for the land part I put in some rocks/sand for drainage (my froggies love to splash the water out of the pond and I dont want to drown the plants) then dirt/leaf litter then I planted sphagnum over that with a couple of ferns still in their pots (so theyre easy to move/take out) tucked into the top layers (still above the gravel/sand layer though).

most of my tank is sphagnum and the frogs seem to like it, and it looks great so will prob stick with that.

Personally if I was using potting mix I would make sure it didn't have any additives like ferts or fungicides.

When I had my froggies I used a patch of mossy turf from the lawn. There was a very damp, compacted area under a tree so I just cut out a square of it the same size as the tank and put it in. Then I planted some ferns (also collected from outside), threw in some bits of bark and leaf litter, and voila! A nice froggy landscape.

If you're using moss, ferns, etc you will need to keep a spray bottle of water near the tank, and mist the moss every time you think of it to keep it moist and lush.

If I was doing it again (and had a big enough tank) I would start with a layer of pebbles, gravel etc so I could flood the turf with water occasionally, and then let it drain through the base layer.