Deno

tiger barbs

does anyone elses tiger barbs float head down and arse up? one has been doing it all day and I thought something might be wrong with him but now 2 or 3 others are doing the same. Our little girl thinks they are just being copy cats.

I've seen my barbs do this as well. Now I can't tell you if it's the same ones doing it all the time, they don't wear name tags :-? I've always seen them doing this so I dont' worry unless there's something else going on as well.

Caper

Thats pretty normal for Tiger Barbs, they do seem to rest like that.

As long as they perk up and swim straight when food appears they are OK.

Ian

Mine do it too, it is how they sleep/rest. They're fine unless they are trying to keep down. If they are they might have gas. mine sometimes are too greedy and gulp down a lot of air at feeding time. Make sure you give them crushed peas regularly to help them stay regular.

Do yours surface feed? Mine only seem to like sinking crumbles. Learned behaviour I guess.

It's funny how they spend ages chasing each other about, but then they like sleeping in a tight school - head down, bum up of course. :)

Make sure you give them crushed peas regularly to help them stay regular

I've tried peas with mine but they don't go for them...any suggestions?

Caper

I save a few cooked peas from my tea then just give them a slight squeeze to pop them out of their skin, then drop the peas in. They disintegrate easily when squished by hand so no need to grind them up.

Dutchkiwicowboy.

On 10/25/2008 at 9:56 AM, DutchKiwiCowboy2 said:

I use the morter and pestle to grind up the skins as well, they seem to enjoy the tougher pieces. If there is a piece that is too big to swallow then the race is on.