Crypt Flower Project********(NEW FLOWER PICS ADDED)*********

supasi

Hmm, small insects that like to eat carrion. Maybe ants as well?

Quite possibly, but I would be guessing and saying that it is probably a flying insect as alot of these plants grow with the base of the plant submerged.

Maybe they are just opportunistic and just hope something climbs on in.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I grow Blk Lilly plants which depend on insect pollination. I usually brush to insure good pollination. Big problem with these types of plants are that if the flower fulls up with water the flower roots and fall off before the seeds have fully developed.so it is best to empty of the liquids that get stuck inside for great seed results.Is it the same with this Lilly type plant.

These flowers are the only way often to properly identify Cryptocoryne species because they vary so much under growing conditions. The pics would be worth adding to the plant data base if you are sure of their identity.

That is the plan. Time is something I am quite short of lately.

Intentions are to write up a whole article about Id'ing crypts and growing them to produce flowers.

A lot of my crypts are in a very sorry state at the moment as I have cut down my tanks considerably and they are just being stored in tanks that are not quite ideal for their preferred conditions.

As time allows I will restart my project and try getting the ones I never got to flower and a new one I have come across going.

A lot of these bisexual flowers will self pollinate with the pollen just falling or being dislodged with the wind

This is true with most flowers, but crypts, being the unusual plants they are, have evolved a method to prevent self pollination. The male and the female parts ripen at different stages. Once the female part is ready to be pollinated the male part is past its best. This is why insects are the best pollinated.

This is true with most flowers, but crypts, being the unusual plants they are, have evolved a method to prevent self pollination. The male and the female parts ripen at different stages. Once the female part is ready to be pollinated the male part is past its best. This is why insects are the best pollinated.

So pollination and pollen fallen from its self when male part is at its best onto the female part has past its used by date when female is ready ?.

flower can only be pollinated from another flower who male part has ripened at the same correct time and has been transmitted on by insect or other means at correct time. ?

Nature A.

Do these plants also full with liquid making a wine smell and attract the insects which pollinate and then come to their death in the soup of fermenting alcoholism smell. A Carnivorousness plant. Or one that causes much death to its helpers.

Correct, and as these plants tend to grow in large groups and are all experiencing the same environmental conditions at the same time, it is quite common to have lots all flowering at the same time. The life of these flowers varies from one to four days before they melt.

In saying this, sexual reproduction seems to be the secondary form of reproduction in Crypts. Most are produced by plantlets on runners from the parent plants. Seed is likely to be a way of spreading itself as the plants grow in boggy and seasonally submersed areas where the flow of water will help distribute the seed pods.

do these plants also full with liquid making a wine smell and attract the insects which pollinate and then come to their death in the soup of fermenting alcoholism smell. a Carnivorousness plant. or one that causes much death to its helpers.

These plants do have smells particular to each variety but o they do not have water in the flower.

C. cordata for example smells like a dead rat. It took me a good hour of searching my fish room till I discovered the source of the smell. C. walkerii "lutea" smells like musty old socks.

They are not carniverous and the only purpose of the flower is to pollinate.

These can be brought at plant shops in the pond plant sections with the water Lilly and Fly traps etc ?

I want some.

Can also set tank with hydroponic ball thingy s in a contained section with a gap at the bottom so that the the fish crud feeds them. instead of dirt ?.

Do these Hydroponics balls thingy s let of harm full chemicals into the water ?

can they also be used in canasta filters as well as I think they might be VERY VERY CHEAP ?.

Will they root and grow well like this. or must be in Dirt.

$2-$3 plastic baskets with floats on or legs placed in the fish tanks aqua-ponics. lettuce etc. hahahaha

These can be brought at plant shops in the pond plant sections with the water Lilly and Fly traps etc ?

I want some.

Can also set tank with hydroponic ball thingy s in a contained section with a gap at the bottom so that the the fish crud feeds them. instead of dirt ?.

Do these Hydroponics balls thingy s let of harm full chemicals into the water ?

can they also be used in canasta filters as well as I think they might be VERY VERY CHEAP ?.

Will they root and grow well like this. or must be in Dirt.

$2-$3 plastic baskets with floats on or legs placed in the fish tanks aqua-ponics. lettuce etc. hahahaha

Burn, I suggest you use google and read up about Cryptocorynes.

They are tropical plants and you wont find them at the local garden centre.

Also, your posts are so hard to follow. Not everything you write makes sense. Maybe its just me but I find it hard to understand what you are getting at in you posts.

• 3 years later...
Revival, Maybe???

That would be great. Your knowledge has been missed. :)

I'm happy to send you some of my varied and unknown species (only a few species) if you want to give them a shot to see what they are. (I suspect a few who have received mine in the past would love to know also).