FNZAS site upgrade - Plant photos wanted

Foxglove

FNZAS is updating the plant database and requires images of plants from our members.

Images must meet the following criteria:

• Must be taken by the forum member submitting them - not sourced from the internet or taken from books/magazines.

• Must show a clear focused image of the plant.

• May be images of emersed, submersed growth, or the flowers of the plant.

• Should be a minimum of 600 x 400px in size (Photobucket will do this for you when you upload)

• Must not be cropped or altered in any way - this will be done before loading into the database.

• Images will be watermarked with a FNZAS Logo and copyright will be attributed to the owner.

• Please submit the following with your image:

Latin Name

Type of growth - Emersed/Submersed

Copyright - Fishroom name/Real name (will PM the member if this is indicated, do not put this on the forum)

• If there is dispute as to the correct naming of the plant, this will be discussed on the thread and the FNZAS Plant committee will be responsible for resolving this.

• If the plant is not on this page: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey the following information needs to be provided:

Latin Name

Common Name

Origin

Temperature range - deg C

Ph range

Hardness

Light requirements - Low, Med, High, Very High

Height

Propagation method

Notes - eg, general description of plant, habits etc

So please post your best plant pics! :bounce:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you crop an image, you are just removing some of the picture around one or more of the edges. It will be a fraction smaller merely because there are less pixels as you cropped some off but not much different Mb or kb size to the original. Cropping does not reduce the quality.

You can then resize the picture to 640 x 480 pixels (max). This will reduce the kb size.

You can then reduce the quality of the image which will drastically reduce the kb size, depending on how much you reduce it.

eg. My original photo would be approx 3.5Mb.

If I just resized it to 640 x 480 then saved it as full quality it would be about 250 - 300kb

If I then reduced the quality to medium (or 5 on my scale) for emailing, it would be 80 - 100kb.

For those who get the AW, the cover photos are full quality but resized to 640 x 480 so are approx 250kb. The pics on the inside, being so small, are done at medium quality so are about 100kb each. Makes the file size of the document smaller and prints faster.

If a pic is just for online then 100kb is fine. If you want to print it out the same size as a normal photo then 250+ is enough. If you want to print it out A5 or larger then keep it full size.

So do we have any pictures yet or are we still waiting?

I have a few plants and I just got some more, but it's not worth me getting the camera out if we already have pics of all the plants i have.

I was considering getting a 3 foot tank from a friend and setting it up to grow plants in - maybe it could be a good thing to get a tank and a camera, and go for it!

Do you have a list of what you have already?

I need to borrow dads camera because mine just isn't good enough, but that's easily done - he'll be bringing it with him to hubbies 40th next weekend and has said i can have it for a few weeks YAY :bounce:

Post what you have and I'll see what I can do....I still have no job and have time on my hands..... :cry: :roll: :x:o

• 1 month later...

Seems to have taken me forever to get to this point, but here are some of my plant pictures:

(if the names are wrong PLEASE correct me, I'm just going by what I know! :oops: )

Hair grass - Eleocharis acicularis

fish004.jpg

Pennywort? - Hydrocotlye vert. (sold to me as this via TM)

fish002.jpg

fish019.jpg

Tiger Lotus - Nymphaea lotus

fish009.jpg

Lilaeopsis mauritanicus

fish027.jpg

Corkscrew Val - Vallisneria asiatica

fish034.jpg

I have some more but seem to have lost the whereabouts of the photos after the last computer crash we had - might have to try again!

Hope this helps people! :D

Here are some more i have taken today:

Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus

kidscottage061.jpg

Java Fern 'Windelov' - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'

kidscottage042.jpg

Straight Val - Vallisneria spiralis

kidscottage074.jpg

These ones i am definately not 100% certain about exactly what they are, so I''l name them as what I know them by, and if anyone has the right info, please post a reply:

Baby Tears - possibly Micranthemum umbrosum or Lysmachia nummularia

fishandplants012.jpg

some type of Bacopa..

fishandplants014.jpg

fishandplants020.jpg

Polysperma or Star grass...

fishandplants021.jpg

Blue Hygrophila

kidscottage052.jpg

Christmas Moss

kidscottage056.jpg

'Ozelot' sword plant

kidscottage036.jpg

another variety of sword plant...

kidscottage044.jpg

a variety of cryptocoryne...

kidscottage028.jpg

the rest of these i have no idea what so ever....

fishandplants047.jpg

fishandplants042.jpg

fishandplants046.jpg

fishandplants037.jpg

fishandplants036.jpg

fishandplants031.jpg

fishandplants025.jpg

Hope that helps the cause! :D

Yes it is Hygrophila polysperma also known as Indian star grass (but it comes from Sri Lanka I think)

Stargrass is Heteranthera zosteraefolia

Hard to tell with the plant with the red stalks as it looks like it has been grown emersed (probably a Ludwigia)

The blue Hygrophila is sold also as H. angustifolia but I think is actually

H. salicifolia.

Cherry leaf is H. stricta also known as temple plant I think.