Im Stumped

kiwiplymouth

I have had a small 40L tank up and running for about a year now.

I originaly used it to breed danio's, barbs and swordtails.

All that it has had in it for the last 6 months is breeding groups of mystery snails, apple snails, and ramshorn snails. Oh and also 1 small danio that i rescued from the bottom of one of my cannister filters.

It has one small bubble filter and gets a 50% water change per week.

temp is a constant 27 deg

Today when i got home from work every single snail was dead and so was the danio.

In the last few days I added 4 female siamese fighters that are still ok but have now been moved to another tank. I also put in some new suckers for the heater (clear silicone from the $2 shop)

What the hell has happened?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

your fighters can acquire air from the atmosphere whereas the snails and danio rely on oxygen from the water may be an indication that

something was wrong with water quality

only thing new in water was your suckers for heater

maybe heating them has released a toxin into the water

only some points to note

I would doubt that it is the suckers actually. Plastic often has a plasticiser added and some may bleed out but the quantities would be so minute from 2 small suckers that I can't see it being a problem. Anabantoids and cats can survive better in bad water because of their ability to get O2 from other than their gills so I would suspect a lack of O2 which coud be caused by a bacterial bloom. In either case removing the suckers and doing water changes is about the best you can do.

People are paranoid about the copper from the hot water cylinder. Copper only goes into solution in acid water and that is why Local Authorities keep the water supply slightly alkaline. Acid water will eat the zinc out of your brass taps before it eats copper and if the water is acid it can eat a hole in your copper pipes or hot water cylinder in about 12 months. The cylinder in our house has been there since the house was built in 1945 so work that out. I refill my tanks with a blend of hot and cold water and have never had a problem. I also do complete water changes on killie fry with water only from the hot tap,as the first bucket of water is about the right temperature by the time the pipes empty of cold and it fills the bucket.