Marbled Hatchet Feeding

DutchKiwiCowboy2

Hi All :D

I have been studying my Marbled Hatchets for the past few days at feeding time. I feed them JBL Gala flakes which also contains what I have always assumed were dried Melafix? worms. I also supplement them with frozen Brine shrimp.

I have noticed that they tend to eat the dried worms and the orange flakes only. The yellow and green flakes are left for the other fish in the tank. They also eat the brine shrimp but as most of this seems to sink to the bottem they don't get a big share of the shrimp.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest another type of dried food that they might like. I'm hoping that the dried food will stay afloat longer giving the Hatchets a bit more variety in their diet.

I also try to catch insects from around the compost heap as often as I can, but I have to be careful how I put these into the tank as they can escape if they get out of the water. (wify's not so happy when that happens.) :wink:

Tubifex. Thats what I meant :oops:

Melafix was that stuff to fix 'em up. Probably should try to not confuse them in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll look into them.

They are actually dried blood worms (red mosquito larvae) - my (Silver) hatchets behave similarly and have a strong preference for any small dried insect, and love wingless fruitflies.

I have bought a container of dried blood worms, (which are a lot darker than the ones in the flake food), and have ordered some wingless fruit flies. However, at nearly $10 for a pottle of 50 they may have to stay a treat for now.

Thanks again for the suggestions

You're supposed to use them as a starter culture.