stringy green coloured algae

cichlid7

Sounds like you have hair algae, I used Flourish excel double-dose on it and it killed a few of my discus and didn't even kill the algae, so I personally wouldn't use it. I then used a product called Algaefix and it worked a treat, with no problems at all to the fish.

you could with no fish in there but certainly not with fish in there. your only prob is you'll have algae filaments in the water with the fish so i'd lightly dose their water too. i've had this stuff take over my tank before, awful stuff. algaefix seems to be the best thing out there for it. it made my fish act quite defensive and it says on the back it's known to the state of california to cause cancer.

No I had the same problems... and I double dosed it. In my experience Flourish Excel totally kills BBA but not Hair algae. I was told that it can even make it worse due to adding excess iron... Go figure...

I am still trying to get rid of it while dosing excel..

Maybe I can try algae fix with an air pump but I'm wary of this. I figure that if I get my nutrient balance right it will be starved out...