reliable movers?

radu

Hi

I have to move from the Eastern suburbs to Lower Hutt and would like some advice on which movers could be realiable to transport my 7 foot tank plus stand. Also could you tell me if when moving I would need to also tansport the water in the tank separately in buckets to the new destination? as I am aware that my filter is biologically running and seasoned well. So bascially does it affect my filter if I use completly new water at my new address when the tank arrives as although it would be easier to not have to transport the old tank water if it means not upsetting the biological filter I'll just have to do it. Also have a fish tank, not as large but does the same also apply to that water? Thanks

Not sure why you've posted these questions in the Reptiles forum, but I'm sure someone will move them for you!

IMO you'd be better off with a bunch of freindly fish-geeks than some random house-moving guys that haven't got a clue about fish. Here's how I moved my 4' tank about six months ago.

* Turn everything off. Undo plumbing for sump, remove heaters etc. Get tank ready to be moved.

* Remove all driftwood and rocks. Use hose to syphon the sand into a bucket.

* Fill large plastic bins for the [big] fish. Drain the tank to half, keeping the water in plastic buckets (with lids).

* Catch fish.

* Fill as many buckets as possible (took about 70% of the water)

* Chuck it all in the back of the truck, drive across town.

* Set tank up, add all the old water and substrate.

* Add fish and give them a minute or two to calm down.

* Top up with tap water, adding stress coat and salt to help with any wounds.

Try to keep at least 50% of the water, but if you don't its not critical, just keep an eye on things as you might get a mini cycle.

good luck with the move, never a fun job but got to be done huh

wouldnt worry about taken water for turtles, bacteria apparintly starts dieing off in your filter after an hour or so of turning it off so just try get filter running again asap but not a worry with turtles really theyre hardy, re for the fish tank take some water (depends how bigger tank and whats practical really) as you will have to for fish to travel in anyway but more importantly just try get filter running again asap, can always leave fish in bucket or bags for a few hours until water in tank warms up (depends what fish and how much you value them i geuss)

when i moved not so long ago i didnt take any water really, just moved tanks refilled waited an hour or 2 for temps to adjust with bags of fosh floating whilist slowly mixing small amounts of the new water often and then chckd fish in, im good like tht though 8)

now you know why he put it in the reptile section???As for carting turtle water all the way to wellington,I would confidently say with the price of gas and all give it a miss!!!When you get there clean out your filter and start again,turtles arn`t going to quibble over a few dead filter bacteria??